bmg_bob · Global Mapper Programmer
- Last Active
- No Roles
- Invited by
It sounds like you want to split an export based on an attribute value. To do this:
- Load your data into Global Mapper
- Choose File | Export | Export Vector/Lidar Format... and select Shapefile from the list of formats.
- On the Shapefile Export Options screen, use the list next to "Split Export Based On:" to choose the attribute you want to use to split your data.
The new Search Vector function is more powerful than the previous one, and that has introduced some complexity. I agree that it would be a good idea to produce an instructional video about how it works. I have passed that suggestion along to the support team. The new Search Vector was covered in the webinar for Global Mapper 20 (at about 10:30 and 26:00). It is also described in the Help (look for 'Search by Attribute' in the Index.)
Generally, getting results similar to those from earlier versions requires use of the LIKE function, which will match attribute values against a string that contains wildcard characters ('*' to match any number of characters, or '?' to match as single character.) For example, if you want to find all instances of ATTR1 that start with "abc", you can use this search query:
%ATTR1% like 'abc*'The comparison operators (=, >, >=, etc.) work the same as they did earlier. To find all of the features with elevation greater than 200, use:
%ELEVATION% > 200Is there something more complicated that you are trying to accomplish?
- Use Layer | Create Layer Coverage Box/Polygon Area Features, and choose the option to create a polygon instead of a bounding rectangle. This will add a polygon to your User Created Features layer.
- Select the User Created Features layer in the Control Center
- Right-click and choose Layer | EXPORT - Export Layer(S) to New File...
- Choose Shapefile from the list