Global Mapper v25.0

Export to Google Tile Creates Empty Tiles

cnewton
cnewton Global Mapper User
edited July 2009 in Bug Report
When doing a export to google map tiles, the output creates some tiles that are blank. These blank tiles form a vertical or horizonal gap in the final map. I have only noticed it with 2 of my nationwide cdma coverage TABs and only at Z10 - Z12. The gaps occur in the same spots even if I rerun the export.

ss.jpg

Go to My Map Set Name (Google Maps Export from Global Mapper) for an example of the output.

I can't upload the TAB file because the data is confidential but if you give me an email, I could send it to you.

I am using v10.02.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    It looks like you may be hitting a clipping bug that has been fixed. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

If that doesn't help, you can email the data to support@globalmapper.com and I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cnewton
    edited July 2009
    It didn't fix the problem. I am emailing the tab files now.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    I have been able to get your data to work with one minor change. The problem is that your TAB files have invalid polygon structures in a few places, mainly with overlapping island areas causing the problems when cropping. I have been able to get most of this work without any changes just by modifying the cropping to not crop to as large of an area. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

However, this still doesn't help if a Google Maps tile boundary goes right through a bad part in intersecting islands. For example if you look near Slidell, LA, you can see 2 island areas that overlap. If you edit one of those so that they don't overlap, then export, that tile should come out fine, whereas it was blank prior to fixing it.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • cnewton
    edited July 2009
    I tried the update and it does work except for those spots where the polys overlap like you said it would. Unfortunately, this isn't acceptable for a production system. However, the company that supplied that .tab file gave me 5 different versions, each at different resolutions. The one I sent you was the 3rd resolution. I tried the export with the highest resolution and it seemed to work fine without the new version of globalmapper. I guess whatever program they used to compress the .tab file doesn't work perfectly since it creates overlapping polygons. Just to be safe, I went ahead and updated my globalmapper exe with the one you posted.

Thanks for all your help.