Global Mapper v25.0

Graphics Card required for large Screen Captures

zubenelgenubi
zubenelgenubi Global Mapper User
edited July 2009 in Technical Support
Hi,

I need to take some very large screen captures in order to create a graphic for use in photoshop for finishing. To date I have tried bumping up the resolution in the Image Size section of the 'Screen Capture Options' dialog to 15000x700.

After a bit of processing, the process fails and global mapper complains that the memory available on the graphics card is not sufficient.

Question is, what graphics card can I purchase to enable the capture of this massive file?

TIA

Zubenelgenubi

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    The maximum size is only partially dependent on your graphics card as there are absolute Windows limits as well. What I would suggest instead of doing a screen capture is to use one of the File->Export Raster menu commands and export to your desired format from there and crop to the current screen bounds as there are no size limits with that approach.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited June 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would take the export raster path, but I would like to capture some overlaid vector layers as well. I dont know if there is another way to do this.

What are the limits that are imposed by global mapper, my video card, and by windows itself (vista32)?

In photoshop I can handle files 30000x30000 pixels. In order to maximize the resolution of the final output, Iam already prepared to create 'tiles' which I can then 'stitch' together in photoshop.

TIA
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    There really isn't a good way in advance to know what the limits are for a single offscreen bitmap used for capturing the screen to an image. Typically systems start to have problems around the size you are seeing.

There is less of problem handling loading and working with larger files than that as you can do things like read from disk on demand, etc. which are not possible when rasterizing vector data.

You can save vector data when exporting to a raster format just by checking the box to include vector data. Internally this operation will break very large exports into smaller tiles that are individually rasterized and then recombined automatically, so there really aren't any size limits.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited June 2009
    Thanks again for the quick reply - even over the weekend!

Hoping you can help me locate the box you reference 'to include vector data' in a GeoTIFF raster export. I am not seeing it.

Also, assuming I use the tiling option to keep the files of a manageable size, does globalmapper scale the vectors to the 'Sample-Spacing' x-Axis and Y-Axis settings specified?

I need to be able to force the export to maximize the resolution of the output files and include raster and vector data in the resilt so that it resembles the screen capture method I was trying earlier. Am I headed down the right path?

TIA
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    The option you need to check is 'Save Vector Data if Displayed' on the GeoTIFF export dialog.

The vector data will be rasterized so that the specified sample spacing represents a single pixel in the output. So if your sample spacing was 10 meters in X and Y and you had a line 5 pixels in width, it would be 50 meters across in the output file.

By combining the Export Bounds tab and the Sample Spacing settings, you should be able to get a fixed number of pixels as the result.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited June 2009
    Still having issues with being able to rasterize the vector data during an export raster data operation where I try to maximize the resolution of the output image.

Do I need to select a smaller bounding box ? What is the max size I can use?
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? Until recently the normal exports had the same limits as the screen capture, but the most recent release (v10.02) should not have any such limits. What error are you getting?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited June 2009
    Im using v 10.02.

The error is the same one that appeared when I attempted a screen capture, with the slight difference that it states that it will be unable to rasterize the vector layers, but allows the export to continue with the raster layers alone.
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited June 2009
    Here is a screenshot of the message which is thrown when I try to export a high-resolution GeoTiff including the vector data overlaid in GM 10.02
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    It looks like there were some changes made since the v10.02 release that will improve this situation that could still be causing you problems in v10.02. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • zubenelgenubi
    edited July 2009
    That seems to have done it.

Thanks