Global Mapper v25.0

Batch Process Exporting High-Res Image

chs200123
chs200123 Global Mapper User
edited May 2009 in Technical Support
I'm currently using global mapper to to create a hi-res satellite image to "overlay" inside a game engine to build a real world area. I'm also using a digital elevation model for accuracy. I'm wondering if it is possible to somehow batch process (or export) a satellite image so that its maximum zoom-in resolution can be captured/exported in one image file. The area is going to be 2048x2048 meters, and I know its file size will be very large but that is not an issue. I know that i can screen shot each image and then "stitch" it together in GIMP but its a very time-consuming process. Are there any faster methods to exporting digital globe high-res images like this?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2009
    You should just be able to use a normal export (like File->Export Raster->Export GeoTIFF) to export your loaded data into a single image. Note of course if you are using DigitalGlobe imagery that you will need to have premium access to the data to be able to export. You are not allowed any use other than viewing the free watermarked DigitalGlobe stuff.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chs200123
    edited May 2009
    Just curious, but can you tell me where Global Mapper caches its Digital Globe Imagery in windows?
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    All Global Mapper caches are under the Windows system TEMP folder in the Global Mapper directory. The watermarked DigitalGlobe cache will be encrypted.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • chs200123
    edited May 2009
    Can virtual earth's satellite imagery be used as a source in global mapper 9? if so, can the above original question be then implemented?
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2009
    Global Mapper does not provide built-in access to either VirtualEarth or Google Maps imagery. Doing so would violate the terms of service for both services and would welcome legal action from Microsoft or Google, which is not something that we want.

Typically is you are outside the US there is not going to be a good source of high resolution imagery that you can do whatever you want with without a significant cost associated with it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2009
    Can you use the high resolution Urban Area imagery available in GM instead? That should export as a single image and I don't think there are any restrictions on use. But that imagery is limited to major urban area in the US.

That's probably your only legal option.

Matt
  • chs200123
    edited May 2009
    Looks like I'm just going to have to stich the whole thing together the hard way, thanks anyways.