Global Mapper v25.0

Deleted Lines Reappear, Why?

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2009 in Vector Data
I'm working with lines and saving them to a Workspace. If I delete a line by selecting it with the Edit tool and press Delete it goes away. Save the file, close GM, restart GM, Open the Workspace and the line I deleted is back. WHY?

I have Configuration > Vector Display > Render Deleted Features, Unchecked.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    That is strange. Is the file that the line is one one loaded from a map catalog or is it loaded directly? My only thought is that if it is loaded from a map catalog the deletion (or any other edits) will not stick. Normally changes would stay though form a normally loaded file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2009
    Finally got back to this. Yes, the offending lines are from a single catalog file that contains perhaps a dozen shapefiles. Memory is not an issue, unlike a similar problem with contours ~15 months ago. I'd like to keep the files separate so that I can replace the data when needed.

Please remind me how I can force a permanent change to these layers and put this problem behind me.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    To get changes to a map catalog to stick, you need to export a new file after making any changes and either overwrite the file in the map catalog or update the map catalog to point to the new file. In the future we hope to allow the map catalog itself to contain the changes embedded within it so this won't be an issue.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    To get changes to a map catalog to stick, you need to export a new file after making any changes and either overwrite the file in the map catalog or update the map catalog to point to the new file.
    From my experiments exporting is not possible given my catalog file.

As I see it, the export option want rectangular bounds, not irregular bounds like flowing water. Export doesn't appear to allow exporting of the catalog layers.

Specifically, let's assume I have ten shapefiles in my catalog, if I change an object in any one, I see no way to export just the one shapefile.

As I see it my only option is to open each shapefile in sequence, edit it and re-export. Do you agree?
    In the future we hope to allow the map catalog itself to contain the changes embedded within it so this won't be an issue.
    This would be appreciated. In the meantime, a warning of not editable would help and/or a listing in the layer manager that this layer is a catalog. Currently a catalog layer looks like any other, but it doesn't behave like other layers.

For me, I'll start putting CATALOG in the layer title to make them jump out a little.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    To just export the one Shapefile you would basically have to have somehow classified all of the features in that Shapefile a particular way, then turn off all but that feature type prior to export. I agree this is not easily possible right now.

I have an item on the todo list to see about making edits to map catalogs actually save to the map catalog file itself, or if that isn't practical to just make the catalogs non-editable. Hopefully I can have this for the v11 release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    Can I do this?

I'm in the process of converting all the shapefiles to GM package files. I will then open all the package files plus my unique layers and create a new workspace. Can I make any changes, turn off all but one layer, then re-export that single layer to its original package file?

I would then do that for every layer. These new layers could then be grouped into a catalog.

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Yes, you can edit your files that way. So long as you aren't editing stuff from a map catalog you are fine.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    Can I do this?

Can I make any changes, turn off all but one layer, then re-export that single layer to its original package file?
    This appears not to work.

When I go to export the change features, the package file dialog has the check box "All features visible on screen" grayed out. So saving just one layer is not possible?

I'm I misunderstanding that check box?
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Are you referring to the 'All Data Visible on the Screen' option on the Export Bounds tab? If so, that is used to set your export bounds to the screen bounds. If your screen already covers all loaded data it is grayed out since it is redundant.

By simply turning layers off in the Control Center you are already stopping them from being exported without having to check any other options.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited April 2009
    Are you referring to the 'All Data Visible on the Screen' option on the Export Bounds tab?
    Yes, and right above that is a default box "All loaded data" should that be unchecked? Perhaps that should read "All open Layers"

Ah word syntax, so much fun.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2009
    Yes, that probably should read something different, like 'All Active Data', or something like that.