Global Mapper v25.0

Load both GeoTIFF and TIFF+ERS

STH
STH Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2009 in Bug Report
I have a folder containing both files with GeoTIFF and regular TIFF with ERS file.

When loading them all at once (loading all *.tif) I get the error: "GlobalMapper was unable to determine the earth reference system for the file "xxx.tif" ..... Rectify? YES,NO,CANCEL..." on some of the files I try to load. When I push cancel it continues to load the other images. After loading more files I get another error on another file: "Error opening TIFF-file....Can not open TIFFOverlay.cpp -119" However when I try to open this file in another GlobalMapper-session it loads nicely. Pushing OK just continues to load the rest of the files, but they all get the same two errors (unable to determine ref.syst and Error opening TIFF-file).

I think the problem is the combination that some *.tif files are GeoTIFFS while other does not contain GeoTIFF and have the information embedded in a ERS file. Also ALL the files (both GeoTIFF and TIFF) in the folder have a corresponding ERS-file.

Is there a DEBUG- mode or something that can help find the solution to this problem?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    There is not any kind of debug mode to get more information. Is this problem related to your other problem with having to break up your loads into smaller pieces to get them all in? If so, when the Windows file selection truncation happens it can often truncate right in the middle of a filename, which could make the wrong path be passed into the TIFF loader resulting in an error.

I'd suggest trying the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command to see if you can get everything into a map catalog at once and avoid actually loading all of those maps at one time.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    It does not seem to truncate in the middle of the filename, because I can see the whole filename (although I can not see the path). I was not aware of the Map Catalog option, this sounds great and exactly what I am looking for. I`m trying it now.

I`m selecting *.tif. After selecting the directory everything runs smoothly until it`s 42% complete. Also at 48% and 81% it gives the "Rectify?" screen.

Trying it a second time it gives error after 12%, 18%, 18% and after that it just gives the "Rectify?" screen to almost all of the images.

Trying it a third time, closing all instances of GlobalMapper it creates the MapCatalogue with all the files.

So it seems that it starts the error on different images every time. And as I said, when opening them one by one everything runs smooshly. So there can be no problem with the files. I think it is just the size of the whole project (250GB and 1800 TIFF-files over the network).

For the record I have 2GB RAM and trying it on a Dell Precision 690

Thanks once again for showing me the MapCatalogue-feature, it works great and loads very quickly!
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    Hm, it seems that after a while I get the "Rectify?" Errors on all the images again. Even closing all the GlobalMapper-windows and reopening the Map Catalogue does not help. I have checked the *.gmc in a text-editor and can not find any errors in the filenames.

UPDATE: Failure due to human error. I removed the ERS-files from the directory, thats why it always wanted to rectify each image.

I suspect that the error first described in this post is that GlobalMapper can not find the ERS-file for the given files, perhaps because of the Windows truncation or other.
  • rzufelt
    rzufelt Global Mapper User
    edited September 2009
    I have a similar problem with RGB tiff. I have a folder with over 400GB of tiff files. At first, they load into Global Mapper just fine. I also load them into ArcMap as well.

Once they have been loaded into ArcMap, it creates an *.aux file as well. Once the .aux files are there, I get this error with MOST of the tiff files that I try to load.

If I copy them to another folder that only gets "touched" by GM, it works fine every time. This, of course, limits storage space in a hurry when you need a separate 400+GB dataset just so GM can open it.

So, apparently, the *.tiff filter doesn't keep it from "looking" at the other files in the directory or something.

If anyone has come up with a work around/fix for this that doesn't require duplicating the data, I'd love to hear it.

thanks,

R_
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2009
    Can you post one of your TIFF files and the .aux file accompanying it that causes the load problem, or if they are large FTP them to ftp.globalmapper.com using a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload'? I would not expect the simple presense of an .aux file to mess things up.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rzufelt
    rzufelt Global Mapper User
    edited December 2009
    Sorry for the long delay gettting back to you.

Upon further investigation, it must have something to do with number of files or folder size, or something like that.

I try to make an example set to send you, and can't reproduce the problem.
    However, my folder will all my imagery will not open in GM once I have opened them in ArcMap until I delete the .aux files.

Unfortunatly, like I said, I can't seem to reproduce it on a "small scale".

R_