Global Mapper v25.0

cogo features

sealphone
sealphone Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2009 in Suggestion Box
These are enhancement or additional capabilities request for the COGO bearing and distance:

1. save to file not only the bearing and distance but also the northing and easting values to excel or dbf files.

2. batch plotting of more and different sets of bearing and distance with different starting point from an excel, txt or dbf files.

thank you and more power

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    Thank you for the suggestions.

For exporting northing or easting values I would suggest just exporting the feature after creation using one of the File->Export Vector menu commands. The Simple ASCII Text format would work to get a CSV file with a list of coordinates. I could add a separate button for just exporting the easting/northing values for a single feature from the distance/bearing dialog if this is an essential feature though.

Do you have any examples of what formats the batch list of starting points and distance/bearing strings might come in as?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    sealphone Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2009
    thanks for considering my suggestions.

I need the northing/easting or latitude/longitude coordinates of the points plotted using the bearing and distance. this is a case of a technical description of lots. a button that will export this on a table will do.

An example of different starting point and many bearing and distance are bearing and distance of lots in a subdivision from a ground control point.

one common starting point, but many lots
    i can input this in excel,dbf or csv

example:
    lot_number,starting_point_coord,bearing1,bearing2.....
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I understand now. I will add this to the todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    additional request... given a line, can we compute the length (already available) and the bearing (azimuth is available).
    It is the reverse process of the COGO feature.

Thank you.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    You can see the length of any loaded line by selecting it with the Digitizer Tool, then right-clicking and selecting the option to 'Display Feature Measure Information'. To get the bearing you would need to use the Measure Tool and measure the segment from the beginning of the line to the end to get the bearing.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    yes, I can do that already. I suggest that globalmapper can export the attributes(true bearing{not the azimuth} and distance value) of a line or many lines in overlay(layer)
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    You can add measure attributes to a feature that will then be exported with any export that supports attributes (like Shapefile, Simple ASCII Text, etc.) by selecting the features using the Digitizer Tool, then right-clicking and selecting the option to Add/Update Measure Attributes. This will work for length for lines, but doesn't currently display an angle.

Would it work for you if the measure attributes for lines were simply updated to include the angle from the start of the line to the end (expressed either as an azimuth or in the two-directional bearing format traditionally used by surveyors). You could then export those as desired.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    Only azimuth can be exported, I did not find the two-directional bearing format
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I haven't added the two-directional bearing format as a display option yet, I was just asking if that would suffice if I added it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    yes, please add it. It would be very helpful.

Thank you Mike!
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I have added a new option to the right-click menu in the Measure Tool allowing you to set the bearing format to either degrees (the current format) or the two-directional format used in surveying. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    Thank you very much! It is very nice, but can you make it in a degrees, minutes and seconds format
    ex: N45° 48' 41.9"E format?
    I hope your patience will not run out...:)
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I have updated the bearing display to obey the Position Display Format on the General tab of the Configuration dialog to allow DMS display, etc. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    using a close polylines, I export the values to csv then using the COGO feature I inputted the values and see the difference (28m).
    The error can be attributed to the rounded off values.
    Note:

New file update to be tested...downloading.....
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    Success!
    Just another request. Please use the default length in meters because for small lot area survey, meters is more appropriate to use. The default attribute value is in Kilometer.

Thanks

Oh sorry about that, the feature requested above is already available in Measure Tool - Always Display Base Units (meters/feet).

Thank you.
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    related request for the number of decimal places like in the coordinate convertor, Please add a decimal place in meters in the attribute value.
    The default is being rounded off to whole number.
    Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    When you get the 28m difference, where are you saving the CSV file from? Is it from the COGO input dialog? That should just save the exact text that was entered for each COGO input string. Is this also where the value is being rounded off to a whole number?

You might also want to check the 'Close Path Using Compass Rule When Completing Feature' option so that you always generate a closed result during the input of COGO or distance/bearing values.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    This is the situation, I open a shape file that was already traced(vectorized) from a scanned lot plan. I use globalmapper to generate a two-directional format bearing and distance and export it to .csv. The result compared to the original length is different because the length generated by globalmapper is already rounded off to whole number.

Another thing observed in COGO, If you input the coordinate geometry (ex. N23:14:12W 20000m) and plot it, then check the result in the Display Feature Measurement, the result is Length = 19899 meters N23:14:12W

another example: N43:23:12W 20000m result N43:23:11.7w 20000m

Can we attribute this error to the convergence of the earth surface for long lines?
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    How exactly are you generating the COGO CSV file from your feature? Even with values rounded off to whole numbers I would not expect an error of 28 meters for a feature with only 5 vertices.

I am not able to reproduce your issue with entering a coordinate geometry and adding the point, then getting a different distance answer back when I measure it. I am getting exactly 20000 m back as the length of a line created using the COGO geometry that you specified. Where exactly are you checking the measurement? Also are you checking the box to apply the compass rule to close features, which would slightly modify each coordinate?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    If the box apply the compass rule to close features is checked, the polyline will close. If not, there will be a slight difference, sorry its not 28m. Please find attached shape file.

I want to preserve the bearing and distance because for titled properties it should not change.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I was able to identify the issue with the long line not being exactly 20000 m and fix that (it was only an issue for very long segments). I also increased the precision reported for distances calculated up to 5km in length to add one digit beyond the decimal point, which should get you very near an exact match.

I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited March 2009
    I have another request/suggestion for the cogo feature.

Fact: the survey comes from a ground control point with a known geographic or projected coordinates, we call it a tie point then a tie line with bearing and distance(coordinate geometry) to the first corner of the lot, then another bearing and distance to the second corner of the lot and so on...

In the existing COGO in globalmapper, you will have to specify a starting point then input the coordinate geometry (tie line) to the first corner of the lot and so on up to the last corner going back to corner 1, if I want the lines to automatically adjust or close the lines i am going to check the box "close path using compass rule..." now the problem occur because it will close the line to the starting point which is suppose to be only the tie point and not the first corner of the lot.
    The existing COGO is just good if the coordinate of the first corner of the lot is known. There is a workaround, but takes a long method to achieve the output.

Maybe you can add a check box button that will check if the starting point is only a tie point or not so that if i check the "close path using compass rule..." it will compute or close the lines based from the end point of the tie line which is the first corner of the lot.

Another suggestion:
    maybe you can add also a batch plotting of many lots by just loading a .csv file with coordinate geometry. Please find attached file.

Thank you very much. I hope I am not asking too much. I just want globalmapper to be more flexible for plotting different surveying data.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I should be able to add an option to treat the first point only as a tie point and not a corner point with out too much trouble. I'll point you at a new build when that is ready.

I'll also take a look at adding a batch file import capability.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I have added a new option to the distance/bearing input dialog allowing you to specify that the start point is just a tie point and not to be included in the final feature. I have placed a new build of Global Mapper 10 with the change at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip . Simply download that file and extract the contents over your existing v10.xx installation to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited June 2009
    I should be able to add an option to treat the first point only as a tie point and not a corner point with out too much trouble. I'll point you at a new build when that is ready.

I'll also take a look at adding a batch file import capability.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike,

I hope that the batch import capability will be available in v11.:)

Thanks in advance.
  • sealphone
    edited June 2009
    any news or comments
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    It is on our todo list, but I'm not sure if it will make v11 or not.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sealphone
    edited June 2009
    Mike,

Thank you for considering my suggestion. I hope it will be included in V11.

BR
    Seal