Global Mapper v25.0

Error when exporting large maps to KML When I reopen the map in Google Earth it disp

Recce
Recce Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2008 in Raster Data
When I reopen the map in Google Earth it displays red X. But when reopening in GM this error displays: “No data could be loaded from the doc.kml”

Any workarounds. Or do I need to cut my map up?

/Thomas

Comments

• Recce
    Recce Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2008
    I see a lot of parallels to this post:

http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/announcement-news/2683-global-mapper-v10-00-beta-2-now-available-2.html#post5064

But I am still stuck on GM V9.3

/Thomas
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2008
    Thomas,

The other post that you mentioned was in regards to a new feature in v10 that wouldn't affect v9.03.

What you are seeing is likely a result of size issues. Have you tried using the option to automatically grid your export into smaller pieces for the KML export? That way Google Earth will wait a bit to load it and not have to use so much memory (which is likely the cause of the failure).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited September 2008
    Yes I did use the "Automatically grid export..."

BTW my map return hidden after export for some reason?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    What are you setting the visibility range (<minLodPixels>) value to? You might try a small value, like 16, to see if that helps.

Otherwise, the v10 release has support for super-overlays when auto-gridding, which is really what you need for exporting very large data sets for display in Google Earth.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited September 2008
    I will try to change the visibility range.

I downloaded GM v10 but cannot find any super-overlays anywhere.

What are you referring to?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    The existing auto-grid setting on the KML raster export dialog now does super overlays rather than the gridding used in the v9.xx release series.
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2008
    Recce wrote: »
    When I reopen the map in Google Earth it displays red X. But when reopening in GM this error displays: “No data could be loaded from the doc.kml”

Any workarounds. Or do I need to cut my map up?

/Thomas

Red X's usually mean the image file could not be found. Are you doing something to the file names?

Matt
  • Recce
    edited September 2008
    Matt I export the map and open it in GE. That’s all.

I did the same in GM V10.

Same output as GM V9.3.

I guess I need to grid the outputs in smaller maps.

Any workarounds to collect a lot of KMZ files into one file for easier handling?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    Can you post one of your KMZ files that is causing problems? I would expect a KMZ file generated by Global Mapper to not have the problems that you are mentioning if opened directly into Google Earth.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited September 2008
    File uploadted to ftp.globalmapper.com in "Error KMZ"

/Thomas
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    Thomas,

I took a look at your file and found the problem. When you load a KMZ file into Google Earth, it apparently extracts the entire contents of that KMZ file into memory. This makes large KMZ files not load properly as they overflow memory.

What you need to do is not create a KMZ file for data sets this large. Just uncheck that option to generate a KML file with a bunch of images. For your existing data set, just rename the .kmz file to .zip, then extract it and load the doc.kml file. Then your data set displays perfectly.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Recce
    edited September 2008
    I had a PC that only showed Red X when opening a KML map exported in GM v10.

But updating Google Earth fixed the problem.

Any other experienced this?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    I haven't seen that, but if upgrading Google Earth fixed display it sounds like it was a problem/limitation in Google Earth that was later fixed.