Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper COGO routines for working with point data tables.

bisenberger
bisenberger Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2015 in Suggestion Box
These routines are common to software that work with survey data from data collectors for field survey equipment. Examples include; accessing the point tables for drawing lines by point number, or drawing just the points selected by individual point numbers and/or ranges of point numbers.

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited January 2015
    Hello bisenberger,

In the current Distance/Bearing/Cogo Input tool (on the Digitizer toolbar) there is an option to 'Load from File...'. You should be able to export to a simple .txt format from a table format in most applications (like Excel). Are you looking for an enhancement to the handling of COGO input strings in some way, it sounds like you would like the input string summarized in an interactive table - where points could be 'activated' or 'deactivated' for coordinate geometry calculations? Do you have any examples of these routines in action (via a website or application)?

Regards,

Jasmine
  • Hello All,
    Does anyone have any serious experience of using the COGeo feature?

I have been doing concept layouts for subsea routes and am trying to work out why, if you can input bearings reckoned from Grid north - as all site engineers would, you would then have an option of using Quadrants? Also the input of curves doesn’t make sense, as when determining the layout of roads and pipelines you would just have the Start and End points (the Termini) and Intersection Points and Radii in between.

From these fundamental data you can compute everything else, including the tangent length, arc length and chord, say on my trusty old HP or Excel, which you then have to input in the COGeo page?

If I need to do engineering surveying I would use something like Excel or NRG's COGeo instead.

Surely a better way to do routing and layouts in GM is Input the 2 end points (which are known) and insert the variable IP points and corresponding radii? (for example 2000 metres).

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards
    Richard