Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper Mobile v2.1 - supported external GPS

kfroese
kfroese Geotechnical EngineerTrusted User
"Advanced GPS support to connect to external high accuracy Bluetooth GPS devices from vendors such as Bad Elf and EOS, among others." Your latest announcement contains the teaser "among others." Are you going to publish a list of which are supported? If not, can you confirm it my specific model of interest is supported? I have a Trimble Catalyst unit.

Answers

• BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi, I can't help on the specifics of your question but a couple of things to note:
    1) GPS support is in the 'pro' version only - https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-mobile-pro.php
    2) from what I briefly read, if your mobile device is an iPad, any GPS unit which connects via Bluetooth hooks into the iPad's Location function and becomes available to apps.  For whatever reason, the same is not true of WIFI-connected GPS devices.  Information can fairly readily be searched for - GPS/iPad combinations are used by non-commercial aircraft pilots.

• kfroese
    kfroese Geotechnical Engineer Trusted User
    Thanks for chiming in, BillB. I did know it was a pro-only feature. But it would be worth $50 to me if it supports my device. The Trimble Catalyst connects via a usb cable that also powers the antenna.
  • BillB
    Connects to what?  iPad / Android device?  Do you have it already working with any other geographic app on that device?
  • kfroese
    Connects to either. Right now we have two units - one using a tablet, the other a phone. I have limited personal experience with them but I believe they are only running the default Trimble apps. But I think one of those apps may "overwrite" the default android GPS signal with that coming from the Catalyst.
  • BillB
    That's quite tricky then.  Sounds like you need to know what GPS signal GM hooks into on each device.
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    Answer ✓

Here are some details about our new Advanced GPS functionality.

Global Mapper Mobile will automatically receive basic location data (Lat, Lon, horizontal accuracy, Elevation, heading) from any connected external GPS device through the operating system’s location services. However, for more detailed information, such as satellites in view, details on fix and accuracy, raw NMEA data, etc., the app requires a direct connection to the device (bypassing location services). Advanced GPS allows us to do that for supported devices. This is a Pro Module feature, which is available for a small annual subscription fee.

Supported Devices:

Bad Elf

EOS Arrow series

Juniper Geode series

Geneq SXblue series

Dual XGPS series

Some Android devices can provide this level of information for their internal GPS hardware. We will use if available.

If you have a device that is not in this list, contact BMG support. If there is sufficient interest in that device, we will work with the hardware vendor to add support in a future version.

Hope this helps

Peter

• kfroese
    BillB said:
    That's quite tricky then.  Sounds like you need to know what GPS signal GM hooks into on each device.
    I have one of the units home right now to play with. The Trimble Mobile Manager software connects to the Catalyst antenna (via USB C) and allows me to set up that app to provide a mock location. When I use GMM, it seems to default to using the phone's internal GPS (which isn't much good for surveying). Do I need Pro to enable it to read this mock GPS signal? I thought the point of the android's mock location was to feed apps something other than what the phone's chip would report. If I need Pro, is it possible to get a trial license to try this out and see if it will work for me?
  • kfroese
    Contacted Blue Marble sales - yes, I can get a trial license!
  • BillB
    Good news.  Please share your results.
  • kfroese
    It works! With Trimble providing the "mock" location, GMM picked it up. It was even correctly reporting the relative accuracy.