Global Mapper v25.0

Creating Tiles

mjmfgm
mjmfgm Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2008 in Technical Support
Hi there,
I was wondering how I can tile my new map I created. I have several shape files and would like to break them down into smaller sections by a shape area. How can I accomplish this ?

Do I need to upgrade too version 10 to do that ?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    You would need v10 to do this easily. In v10, you can select all of your shape areas that you want to use as export boundaries, then do a normal Shapefile export and use the Gridding tab to specify that you want to grid to the selected area features. This will create a separate file for each selected area feature.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    mjmfgm Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Mike, will this work also for cgpsmapper export ?
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Yes, that tiling mechanism will work for any export format that has a Gridding tab.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Mike I just upgraded to version 10, I tried the above Shape Area selection and getting this error: "No features found within the specified bounds."

Any Ideas what this means?
    Thanks Mike
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Mike,

What type of Shapefile are you exporting (i.e. area, line, or point)? That error message means that for at least one of your exports there was not any data loaded matching one of your export types within the bounds of one of the selected area features that you are gridding to.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    I have two shape files loaded, both are Area shape files. I do not understand "Griding"?

Here is what I did: I loaded two shape files, I clicked on the feature selection tool and then clicked on a shape area. The feature Information window popped up with the correct area information ( I do not know if both shape files are selected or not ?) Then I go to file export -> vector data -> shape export.

I click on the Griding tab and click on the "Use Selected Area Feature's for Grid Cells, after that a new window opens asking me to select a grid name. I select the label option and thats when I get the error code.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    On the File Selection tab of the Shapefile export dialog are you checking the box to 'Export Areas'? This should also be checked and you should select the filename to export to the area features to (the grid naming will override this though).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Yes I have selected the Export Area and I gave a file name. I really need to Export to polish format and need to tile the map. I am trying the Export Bound now to see if this will work.

What I thought after reading your prior response that I need to update to version 10 that I could select a shape and then export that portion of the shape file. Come to find out when you have a few layers that the lower layers are not being exported? I must have misunderstood you ?

So again I have 3 layers all are shape files and the top layer has shapes that define special areas I need to select for tiling. What is the correct way to do that and how can I make sure that when I select an area shape (polygon) I get all the information from all layers for that selected area.

PS: That is a lot of information please let me know if this makes sens. Thanks again Mike:)
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    I thought you were already on v10? You certainly need v10 for the feature where you can grid to the selected area features to even be present.

What you can do using v10 is load all of your layers, then select the area features that you want to grid to with the Digitizer Tool, then use the Polish MP export (or Shapefile if you want to do that), go to the Gridding tab, then select the option to grid the export to the selected area features. This should generate a single export tile for each selected area feature, using the specified information for the filename. Each exported tile will be cropped to the bounds of each area (note that lines and areas cannot yet be actually cropped to irregular polygon boundaries).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    I am on version 10, I purchased the upgrade yesterday before I replied to you.
    Anyway I did what you using the digitizer tool, still having the same problem. When I use the shift +v and select an area I am selecting the the lower layer. When I am not using the Shift+v and select a shape Area then I am getting the "No features found within the specified bounds." error.

Some interesting here, when I go to the Option Menu and look at the layers I see all my 3 layers and I see one more layer called "User created layer". That is the selected Area I have selected however; the data for the other two (2) layers are missing.

Please see attached picture.
  • teddy
    teddy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2008
    Please forgive my ignorance. I don't have v10 but what i have is a shapefile of a country with states and counties. I want to export each state and county in a jpg format to use in flash (too lazy to trace everything in flash). Do I need v10 to do this? Is this concept called 'tiling'?
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    No that is not Tiling, tiling is a word used to split data into smaller tiles or files. So if you have a big data map you can split that data map into smaller files, this allows you to load the data faster in some applications and may makes it easier to Handel.

Correction here, you can use Version 10 to select areas and than export those areas into different file formats.

What you want to do is to print the file to PDF and than load that file in flash. Or, export to JPG or other formats what flash can read.

Hope that helps.:)
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Are your other data layers actually within the area that you are selecting? From your screenshot I didn't see anything but the one area feature on the screen. I also couldn't see the entire layer list as it was covered by the metadata dialog to see what else you might have loaded.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Thank you again for your response Mike, yeas as I explained there are 3 shape file layers. The problem is that only the top most layer is getting selected.

The image shows the selection what GM10 selected, the other layers are not getting selected for what ever reasoning.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    You only want to select the area feature that you are cropping to, not any other layers anyway. You are wanting to export your loaded data to the bounds of the top area right? You should only select the areas that you want to export from.

Perhaps you could send me your data and your workspace and then I can just take a look and see what is going on.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Okay one more time, maybe I am not explaining my self correctly?

I have 3 data layers all shape files. I would like to select all the data from all layers. I would like to select a certain area to export. So I use the Digitizer tool to click on a shape and then export to polish format. On the gridding Tab I select the "Use Selected Area Feature (s) for grid cells" radio button. Then a pop up window comes up asking to select a grid cell naming I click Okay for the default, then a Save As window pops up I type a name in and I get an error telling me that there are no features found within a specific bounds ( see picture )

So again all they way back to the beginning of this issue, you where telling me that I need to update to use this feature and I cannot get this thing to work.
    I have enclosed the data files and my desktop info in the zip file, thanks again for your help Mike in advance.
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Aha! I went through the process that you described with your data and discovered a bug when gridding to selected areas with a vector export (like Polish MP or Shapefile). I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with this bug fixed for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Mike I will give this a try, I will let you know if this works.
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Yhap that did the trick Mike, thanks again for all your help.:)
  • hany m. magdy
    hany m. magdy Global Mapper User
    edited September 2008
    hi mike
    from where does i download SDK v10?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2008
    The SDK is separately versioned from the Global Mapper application itself. The Global Mapper application is at v10.00, but the SDK is at v1.28. You can download the latest SDK release from the Developers page at GLOBAL MAPPER.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com