Global Mapper v25.0

Connect lines from 2 different watersheds

amagro
amagro Global Mapper User
edited July 2014 in Technical Support
Hello

I hold like to know if it is possible to connect to lines from a drainage network from two different watershed.

thanks

Comments

• samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited July 2014
    Hello amagro,
    I'm not sure if I understand your question, but the watershed analysis does create a connected series of streams in a drainage network as the streams flow downhill from all the the watersheds that are produced. If that's not what you are asking, could you give a little more detail on what exactly you are trying to do?

Regards,Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • amagro
    amagro Global Mapper User
    edited July 2014
    Hello samknight,

I was creating very small watersheds and now I would like to join some water lines in order to make one single line, whose purpose is to visualize the path profile of that single line.

In the same way we can join a watershed areas, I was wondering if it’s possible to join 2 contiguous water lines.

Thanks,
    AMagro
  • Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Amagro,

To extend your drainage lines, select the two lines that you want to join with the Digitizer tool, then open the Watershed Generations Options dialog. Check the box next to Trace Flow from Selected Lines and uncheck the boxes next to Create Watershed Areas Showing Drainage to Selected Point(s) and Create Watershed Areas Showing Drainage to Streams. Click the OK button to see the results. If the drainage pattern of the two lines flow to the same point, they will meet up.

I have attached a screen shot of the options that I chose for the Watershed Generation Options. Let me know if you have questions.

Hope that helps!

Josie
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited July 2014
    Hi AMagro,
    I think we understand now, to join the lines, all you need to do is select the lines as you have with the digitizer, then Right-Click, and select Crop/Combine/Split Functions>COMBINE to join them together into one. You will see an intermediate prompt indicating the distance threshold for joining lines, the default value of 0.1m should work just fine for watershed lines that actually share the end vertices.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • samknight said:
    Hi AMagro,
    I think we understand now, to join the lines, all you need to do is select the lines as you have with the digitizer, then Right-Click, and select Crop/Combine/Split Functions>COMBINE to join them together into one. You will see an intermediate prompt indicating the distance threshold for joining lines, the default value of 0.1m should work just fine for watershed lines that actually share the end vertices.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Blue Marble Geographics
    I have the same problem. But how can this be done automatically, select all the lines at once?

Regards, VARVAR