Global Mapper v25.0

Import PDF as raster layers

When importing a PDF as a raster image with 'Import each PDF layer to a separate GM Layer' I am only shown a single layer and prompted to rectify it. If I rectify the layer I am then prompted to rectify every single layer individually and I have no option to cancel. My PDF contains 103 layers so this is not practical and I have to use the Task Manager to exit GM.

Why do we need to rectify each layer of a PDF individually? 

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

Does the prompt to rectify the image have an option to use the specified information for all imported layers?  If it doesn't or the option is being ignored, that would seem to be a bug. In that case, I suggest that you contact Blue Marble Support directly via email. Please include a detailed description of your workflow, and a sample PDF file that can be used to reproduce the issue.  Thanks.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Thanks Bob.

I have checked the options but it is just ignored so must be a bug. I'll contact them and send them an example.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Hello Steve,

Upon further review, there is a way to avoid this when loading <filename>.pdf:

1) On the first rectification dialog, after creating control points, save a .gcp or .pfw file named <filename>.gcp or <filename>.pfw (this is the default action when you choose File | Save ... on the rectification dialog.)

2) On the first projection selection dialog, select the projection and put a check next to "Use Selected Projection for All Selected Files"

The import will proceed without asking for any more information.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • bmg_bob said:
    Hello Steve,

Upon further review, there is a way to avoid this when loading <filename>.pdf:

1) On the first rectification dialog, after creating control points, save a .gcp or .pfw file named <filename>.gcp or <filename>.pfw (this is the default action when you choose File | Save ... on the rectification dialog.)

2) On the first projection selection dialog, select the projection and put a check next to "Use Selected Projection for All Selected Files"

The import will proceed without asking for any more information.

Cheers,
    Bob
    Thanks Bob.

I had a similar response from Blue Marble Support and it worked for importing PDFs as raster data. However, it does not work when importing the PDF as vector data. In fact the data extents came in as over half a billion kilometres across and obviously in the wrong location. I was able to fix this by Rectifying the vector data a second time though.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • kfroese
    kfroese Geotechnical Engineer Trusted User
    bmg_bob: that was a bloody good tip! I've just imported each layer of a PDF file seamlessly after first importing and rectifying the one layer that had some points I could assign coordinates to. That was awsome.

However, I had issues with trying the same technique importing it as vector data. It came in beautifully but at 0,0 rather than much farther into the northern hemisphere where the site is actually located. But my CAD person can fix the line work.