Global Mapper v25.0

Is it possible to change vector search from Version 20 back to version 19 or any other version?

Saso
Saso Global Mapper User
The Search Vector data function in version 20 is so much more of a pain to use than the previous versions of global mapper. I cant get any of the results I can get our of the version 19 search function. Is it possible to change it back? If nor then maybe global mapper can put up a video on how to use the new search vector data? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓
    Hello,

The new Search Vector function is more powerful than the previous one, and that has introduced some complexity. I agree that it would be a good idea to produce an instructional video about how it works. I have passed that suggestion along to the support team.  The new Search Vector was covered in the webinar for Global Mapper 20 (at about 10:30 and 26:00). It is also described in the Help (look for 'Search by Attribute' in the Index.)

Generally, getting results similar to those from earlier versions requires use of the LIKE function, which will match attribute values against a string that contains wildcard characters ('*' to match any number of characters, or '?' to match as single character.)  For example, if you want to find all instances of ATTR1 that start with "abc", you can use this search query:
    %ATTR1% like 'abc*'
    The comparison operators (=, >, >=, etc.) work the same as they did earlier. To find all of the features with elevation greater than 200, use:
    %ELEVATION% > 200
    Is there something more complicated that you are trying to accomplish?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi Saso,

I just answered your previous question in its original thread. Bob's answer is a bit different than mine, but is also correct.

Best regards,

~Jeff