Global Mapper v25.0

Combining GM symbols to create custom symbols

Based on documentation I've found it sounds like I should be able to create a POINT_SYMBOL call in a .GM_sym file and load it as a new custom symbol, but when I load it, I get an error saying there is no data to load. For example I created a point entity and exported it as simple ascii format and got the following information -

DESCRIPTION=Unknown Point Feature
NAME=1
POINT_SYMBOL=SQUARE_EMPTY_CUSTOM_32_0_255_255
FONT_SIZE=12
FONT_COLOR=RGB(0,0,0)
FONT_CHARSET=1

I then tried to create a new symbol and loaded the file and it gave me an error saying there was no data to load. I also tried to combine two symbols and create a single custom symbol using an empty square and a cross using the following code and again got an error for no data. Is what I'm trying to do not possible? Thanks.

POINT_SYMBOL=SQUARE_EMPTY_CUSTOM_24_0_0_0
POINT_SYMBOL=CROSS_CUSTOM_24_255_0_0

Answers

• I'm still hoping someone knows the answer to this question and can help me out. :)
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

Per the documentation:

GM_SYM file format — Custom symbols can be defined as vector symbols using the GM_SYM file format. GM_SYM files are simply ASCII text files that the File ->Open Generic ASCII Data File menu command could load, with 0,0 being the center of the symbol and the coordinates specified as pixels, with X increasing to the right and Y increasing down to the bottom of the symbol.  Here is an example of a square with a red border and green fill (my annotation is in bold text, and is not part of the file content):
    CLOSED=TRUE  (Indicates a closed symbol, i.e., an area as opposed to a line)
    PEN_STYLE=SOLID 
    PEN_COLOR=RGB(255,0,0) 
    PEN_WIDTH=2 
    FILL_STYLE=SOLID 
    FILL_COLOR=RGB(0,255,0) 
    -5,5  (5 pixels to the left of and above the center)
    5,5  (5 pixels to the right of and above the center)
    5,-5  (5 pixels to the right of and below the center)
    -5,-5 (5 pixels to the left of and below the center)
    Cheers,
    Bob

• Thanks Bob, But I want to know about this - https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper-20/index.htm#ASCII_Field_Options.htm

Specifically,

SYMBOL, POINT SYMBOL, POINT_SYMBOL –if this value matches one of the following values, that symbol will be used for the point feature, attribute names are ignored for line features. The symbol name should either exactly match one of the symbol names in Global Mapper, or be in one of the following forms:

• DOT_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • DOT_EMPTY_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • SQUARE_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • SQUARE_EMPTY_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • VERT_BAR_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • CROSS_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • DIAG_CROSS_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • STAR_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • STAR_EMPTY_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • TRIANGLE_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • TRIANGLE_EMPTY_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • DIAMOND_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    • DIAMOND_EMPTY_CUSTOM_<SIZE>_<RED>_<GREEN>_<BLUE>
    Is it possible to combine built in points to make custom points?
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

In order to use those custom symbol values, you need to have an attribute on your point feature called SYMBOL, POINT SYMBOL or POINT_SYMBOL, and the attribute value needs to follow the convention shown in the list of symbols. These values cannot be used in a GM_SYM file, and they cannot be combined to create a new symbol.  What makes them custom is the ability to specify the size and color.

Is that the information you are looking for?

Cheers,
    Bob