Global Mapper v25.0

How do I move the pivot point in 3D view?

geomannie
geomannie Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Whatever I seem to do, the pivot point in 3D view seems fixed. Surely I can change this, but how?

Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited November 2018
    Hi geomannie,

You can change the pivot point in 3D by dragging with the middle mouse button down -- you're really dragging the map to the pivot location rather than vice versa, but the effect's the same.. It's probably easiest, for placement purposes, to go to a top view (Ctrl+Shift+T) and dragging so that the pivot axit is at the correct XY, then if desred, going to a side view to set the elevation.

Note that the pivot axis behavior as you zoom closer to it changed vs. the previous implementation. The old way, as you zoomed close and closer to the axis, you could get to a point where you couldn't zoom past it. Now, if  you get close enough, you'll nudge it back in your direction of travel.

Hope that this helps.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • geomannie
    geomannie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi Jeff

Thanks for your answer but your suggestion doesn't work for me. My middle button is a clickable scroll wheel but if I click and drag, nothing seems to happen. I am puzzled.
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Strange, the mice on the two machines that I use also have clickable scroll wheels, and this works on both, though one of mine can be a little finicky with middle mousewheel drags. Not sure why that wouldn't work for you, though.

One other thing that you can do is to use keyboard panning (Arrow Left/Right/Up/Down, Ctrl+<arrow> moves a smaller distance, Shift+<arrow> moves a larger distance). Again, using the method of shifting to top view, and getting the pivot axis where you want in X/Y, then shift to a side view to set elevation is a good way to go. Hopefully that will work for you.

Cheers,

~Jeff