Global Mapper v25.0

Any hint to speed up GM_GenerateElevationGrid

Yann DUPUY
Yann DUPUY Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hello,
another strange thing with using GM SDK 19 instead of 16.
I used to be quite happy with the time needed and the resulting quality of producing altimetry grid from 3D shapes.
It took something like 5 to 10 seconds, and that was fine.

Now with v19 I need many minuts (probably more than an hour but I can't wait till the end... ) for the same amount of data.

The "Populating elevation grid" step is taking ages. I can't figure which GM_GridGenSetup_t parameter I need to change to get a faster restult (just like the one I had before). Any hint ?

Thanks,
Yann

Answers

• Mithra
    Mithra Trusted User
    Hello Yann,

I would suggest you to check whether the settings are same for both v19 and v16. The grid tightness should be checked as this in particular might slow down the process. Please let us know if this fixed the issue.

Regards,
    Mithra
  • Yann DUPUY
    Yann DUPUY Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hello Mithra,
    My parameters are strictly identical as it is the same piece of software that I use either with v16 or v19.
    I tried the tightness but have probably missed something since it as no noticeable improvement. Forcing x and y resolutions to something «big» has significant effect.
    I ran v19 just before leaving office today (with automatic resolutions) and will check tomorrow what could be the differences between the layers info.

• Yann DUPUY
    Yann DUPUY Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hello again,
    the problem obviously comes from the GM_GridGen_FillToBounds flag.
    Without this flag, the grid creation is lightning fast.

Turning this flag on, leads to the following results : (GM 19 top, and GM 16 bottom)

Though GM 19 result seems smoother and more realistic, is there a way to have a "quick and (not so) dirty" result similar to the one obtained with GM 16 ?

Thanks,
    Yann
  • Mithra
    Mithra Trusted User
    Hello Yann,

Thank you for sending the images. Can you send us the data files you are working on to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com. We will look into that once we have the required information. Please let me know in case of additional questions. 

Regards,
    Mithra