Global Mapper v25.0

Gridded surface to TIN (Irregular triangles rather than regular/gridded triangles)

Hi,

Is there any chance we can have the option to export a gridded surface to TIN? Currently the TIN export is more like a TRN due to the nature of the gridded data source. Unfortunately AutoCAD Civil 3D just cannot cope with large surfaces with so many triangles so I am looking for a more intelligent/efficient TIN with irregular triangles as opposed to regular triangles. Essentially I would like large triangles in flat areas and smaller triangles where detail is required.

I have tried making dense contours and creating a TIN from the contours that the results are not great as you lose all the detail. I've also tried exporting to XYZ with simplification enabled; which is great but the upper limit in Civil 3D is 1 million points (or 2 million triangles) and I can't seem to figure a way of controlling that maximum points at export.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

We have an open feature request for this functionality (item #17460). I have added your information to the request -- having more users who request a new function helps increase its priority for implementation.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the feature request changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Thanks Bob - much appreciated.