Global Mapper v25.0

Is there a way to Edit/Modify an imported KMZ (.dae) in Global Mapper?

I have imported a KMZ of an specific area and would like to modify the features, add detail and re-export.

Answers

• Any insight would be appreciated? 
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    What version of Global Mapper are you using?  (it does make a difference in many cases)

What kind of features to you have?  Points? Lines? Areas?

What modifications (in general) to you want to make?

What problems are you having with modifying any of the features?

I don't know of any problems with modifying data imported from KMZ, or exporting to KMZ.  That said, after editing, all features (and labels) may not remain consistent with the original file.  Many modifications can be made within Google Earth, as an alternative. 

• Hello Mykle,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using GM 17.2.5 (we have GM 19 in the budget for this year)

I have Areal features, roads, parking lots, etc.

I would like to add more detail (as in, add more vertices/points) to curved sections, in order to have them more accurately represent the area of imagery.

We are exporting our 2D roads from a 3D software to KMZ, which then lines up perfectly to Google Earth. However, when importing the KMZ to Global Mapper, the different features get automatically separated into layers, such as, model1.dae [1feature], model2.dae[1feature] etc. When selecting the features with-in this layer, i do not have the "edit areal features" available.

Is it now a collada file? strange.
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi dmann,

KMZ files can directly express simple geometries like points, lines, and areas, but they can also include models, and the way it does that is by referencing external Collada DAE files. Apparently that's what's happening in your case: the 3D software you are using is exporting your geometries as DAE files. I'd suggest that you contact Blue Marble Geographics Support at geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com to see whether they have any workarounds. They may ask you to submit a sample KMZ file to help resolve any software issues; that's usually helpful.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Hello Jeff,

I believe you are absolutely correct, i hope there is a workaround for this. currently GM19 does give me a few more options. It actually recognizes it as a Mesh, and i can actually select it. However, i am not able to select the points, linears or areals.

I have indeed contacted support and submitted my issues via geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com, though like my previous inquires, i have yet to receive a reply (i have added every possible email extension to my safe senders list). <span>:neutral:</span>

I will try and summit again,
    Thank you for your comment and suggestions.

Cheers,
    Dave