Global Mapper v25.0

Open shape files

mjmfgm
mjmfgm Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2008 in Vector Data
Hi there
I have a Esri shape file with several colors and polygons. All are labeld and defined, when I open the file in "GM" I only see one color. It seams that "GM" does not import any of the project settings and or does not read the DBF file correctly ( Or I am not opening the file correctly ).

How can I open the shape file and get my colors to show up, thanks in advance for your help.:)

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    The Shapefile format does not have any standard way of storing feature styles or colors. Most likely there is some additional metadata file that ESRI is using to store their color definitions for the Shapefile, or they are storing some attribute values that they have defined to setup the colors (this is how Global Mapper is able to get styles from some Shapefiles).

You can choose what attribute value to use as the display label from the Options dialog for the layer available from the Control Center.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    mjmfgm Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Mike for your explaination, there are several data files (ie. xml sheet and sbx , prj.). Which define shape and color as well as label definitions, I cannot open these files in "GM" ?
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    The PRJ file just contains the projection definition for the file and is automatically read by Global Mapper and the SBX file is a spatial index and is not needed or used by Global Mapper. The XML file could contain just about anything, including style information, but is not a standard defined part of a Shapefile database. If you send me the XML file I can take a look and see if the format is something obvious so that Global Mapper could automatically find and decode that file to provide styles for the data on import, but if it is anything like most other ESRI creations it will not be anything easily usable.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Thanks again Mike, Let me look into this a little bit more. I need to learn more about shape files how the are constructed and how I can fileter the data.

Thanks for your help Mike. :)
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Hello there Mike,
    Mike I would like to thank you for your fast and excellent response.

Mike I looked at the shape file and noticed that there are several data fields and several label fields. How can I select different polygons by label and or by type ?

If I can select all polygons by label and or type then I can apply different color schema's to the shape file and that would do the trick.

http://uswebtek.com/blmlandg.zip
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    You can use the Search->Search by Attributes menu command to query features based on name and/or attribute, then edit the results.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mjmfgm
    edited August 2008
    Mike you are the man !!!
    This worked, thanks again for all your help. Have a great weekend.