Global Mapper v25.0

unable to connect to google earth

yianni
yianni Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hi,

I am executing the command "View Window Location in Google Earth" after selecting some features, which I expect GM to convert into a KML on the fly and show them on GE as well.

Just upgraded to v18.2 (yesterday) and now I get the following response:

"unable to connect to Google Earth, it may not be installed". would you like to try to show the current view in the application that is associated with KML files?"

v18.1 had no issues.

Any ideas?

thanks

yiannis

Answers

• Hi Yiannis,

I've had problems previously launching Google Earth from a number of apps including GM as there are sometimes issues with Google Earth updates not registering correctly in Windows.

If this is what you are experiencing I found these solutions that worked for me. The workaround was simply starting Google Earth first. The better solution is to manually register it yourself via command prompt, you need to run in administrator mode and include your own installation folder details and the " symbols. For my installation it is here, you should check your installation and edit as required:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Earth\client\googleearth.exe" /RegServer

Cheers,

John

• yianni
    yianni Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thanks for this

However I have global mapper 14 on my machine and the same command works fine with google earth.

I am inclined to believe there is something off in v18.2 of global mapper.

Oddly enough if I answer "Yes" to the question promted by GM :"unable to connect to Google Earth, it may not be installed". would you like to try to show the current view in the application that is associated with KML files?

then GM launches google earth.

would someone from blue marble care to commend as well? again not a issue as I do get to do my work but a bug still.

thanks