Global Mapper v25.0

Path Profile - How to sample elevation at horizontal vertices

AlexPrecisionGeo
AlexPrecisionGeo Global Mapper User
edited April 2014 in Technical Support
Hello

I am fairly new to Global Mapper and I am attempting to create a path profile along a line using Lidar data. I am able to generate a .csv file that has points along my desired 5 m interval spacing, however I also need the elevation and distance on the line at all of the vertices of my horizontal line and am hoping there is some way to get these using the path profile or some other method.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2014
    If you have the Lidar module in v15 you can load your Lidar points and the line, then select the line with the Digitizer Tool and right-click and select to show a path profile under the Measure/Analyze right-click menu. You can set up the desired spacing under the Path Options menu on the path profile dialog, then under the File menu save out a distance/Z file. I believe that will give you what you are after.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • Hi, in Global Mapper v18.2 this solution doesn't seem to work with lidar only, an elevation grid needs to be loaded. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Load a polyline and LAS file only
    2. Select polyline with Digitizer Tool (Alt+D)
    3. Right click selected polyline, go to Analysis/Measurement -> PATH PROFILE
    The following warning dialog appears:

Global Mapper v18.2.0 (b052417) [64-bit] [+Lidar]
    You must first load terrain data (i.e. DEMs, etc.) before you can perform this operation.

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hi, in Global Mapper v18.2 this solution doesn't seem to work with lidar only, an elevation grid needs to be loaded. Steps to reproduce:
    1. Load a polyline and LAS file only
    2. Select polyline with Digitizer Tool (Alt+D)
    3. Right click selected polyline, go to Analysis/Measurement -> PATH PROFILE
    The following warning dialog appears:

Global Mapper v18.2.0 (b052417) [64-bit] [+Lidar]
    You must first load terrain data (i.e. DEMs, etc.) before you can perform this operation.

Using Global Mapper v18.2.0 (b052517) [64-bit] [+Lidar] - REGISTERED (built one day later than yours), I was able to create a Path Profile from LiDAR data, without any terrain data loaded.  I suggest that you try the latest daily build. It is possible that you are seeing a bug that has been fixed.  If the problem persists, please contact Blue Marble Geographics Support via e-mail (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).  Please provide a detailed description of your workflow and data that can be used to reproduce the problem.

Cheers,
    Bob