Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper V18 Hide/Show Overlay

Qiao
Qiao Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2017 in Technical Support
In earlier versions, there is a button to Hide/Show Overlays if you select one or more layers in the control center. I had been using this option a lot to compare two overlays. I could not find a way to do similar things in the new V18. Any suggestions or workarounds? 

Answers

• can you not just uncheck the tick box next to each overlay?
  • If you are talking about the swipe function, where you can slide one view up and down over another, it's still there. Just looks different.  Under the [Tools] menu, it is called image swipe.  

On the toolbar it is the button just left of the 3D box. (your setup may differ from mine)

• the highlighted button is the swipe tool 
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    The TIP sez "The Swipe Tool allows you to interactively hide part of a single raster layer so that you can easily see what is underneath it. ..."

I have used the Hide/Show Overlays control to compare vector as well as raster layers, and not just a single layer.  If you need to hide/show one layer, then toggling the tick box is sufficient.  When you have several layers that need to be toggled, it is a very different process and much less effective. 

Some of us users can have complex workspaces, thanks to the flexibility of Global Mapper.  We really miss the Hide/Show Overlays button and hope it returns, sooner rather than later. 
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

You can use the space bar to toggle the check state (visibility) of all selected layers in the Control Center.  Is this what you are trying to do?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Oh my ...  isn't that the cat's meow !  That looks like it is EXACTLY what we are trying to do. 

Can you rub our noses in that being documented in the HELP (or elsewhere)?
    (i don't see it in the Overlay Control Center help)

Or is this a feature that can only be revealed to master users?

Thanks Obi-Wan BMG_Bob!
  • Eagle2
    Eagle2 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thanks for pointing this out BMG_Bob! I as well have been searching high and low after the disappearance of these useful buttons in the overlay control center. Any chance they might show their faces again?
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited April 2017
    Mykle said:
    Oh my ...  isn't that the cat's meow !  That looks like it is EXACTLY what we are trying to do. 

Can you rub our noses in that being documented in the HELP (or elsewhere)?
    (i don't see it in the Overlay Control Center help)

Or is this a feature that can only be revealed to master users?

I think that this is default Windows behavior for the check box -- the space bar will change the checked/unchecked state of the box.  In this case, that results in toggling the layer visibility.

Eagle2 said:
    Thanks for pointing this out BMG_Bob! I as well have been searching high and low after the disappearance of these useful buttons in the overlay control center. Any chance they might show their faces again?
    We have an open feature request to add a toolbar to the Control Center. This toolbar will likely contain the Hide/Show button, as well as the buttons to move layers up and down in the list (turns out those were quite popular.) I have added the information from this thread to the feature request, and we will post a message here when the status of the request changes.

In the meantime, we have updated the layer list on the Control Center so that if you have multiple items selected with mixed check states, and you Ctrl + left-click on one of the selected check boxes, the check states will toggle rather than all going checked.  This functionality is available in Global Mapper daily builds dated March 24th, 2017 or later.

Cheers,
    Bob