Global Mapper v25.0

raster pyramids

pechbonnieu
pechbonnieu Global Mapper User
edited November 2007 in Suggestion Box
Hello,

i'd like to create raster pyramids (jpeg) from an ecw or a set of ecw files.
I would specifiy the optimal resolution, tile size, and the number of levels in my pyramid.

is that possible ?

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2007
    You cannot do that all in one operation in Global Mapper. You would have to do multiple exports, one for each level in your pyramid. You can use the Gridding tab for each export to break the export up into the desired number of tiles for that level.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pechbonnieu
    edited November 2007
    that is indeed the way i am working through this. And it is quite long.
    But i also noticed your World Wind export so i know you are already dealing with raster pyramids. You will maybe add soon a Google maps export as well.

But these pyramid are dependent of the kind of viewer they will be used in.

So why not implement also the generic raster pyramid generation case ? Is that something you could consider in next versions ?

Thanks in advance,

Eric
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    We are actually working on Google Maps export right now and hope to have it ready for beta testing this week (is this what you are needing the pyramid for?). A more generic pyramid option is something to consider for a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • pechbonnieu
    edited November 2007
    the more generic pyramid option will be preferable for me, since i am not specially working with Google maps but with different viewers (openlayers or custom Flash viewers).

Thank you very much in advance,
    Eric
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    Ok, I will add a generic pyramidding option to our todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2007
    We are actually working on Google Maps export right now and hope to have it ready for beta testing this week (is this what you are needing the pyramid for?). A more generic pyramid option is something to consider for a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

When you say Google Maps, do you mean Google Maps or Google Earth? I'm guessing you mean you will be adding raster pyramids to the current Google Earth (KML) export option, which would be awesome. Just a couple of requests for the KML coding.

- Include use of KML time stamp function
    - Include option for setting the number of pyramid levels
    - Include option for setting the Draw Order
    - Include option for setting Min/MaxLODPixels
    - Include option for setting Min/MaxFadExtent
    - Include option to Hide Child Links

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    Actually I mean Google Maps export, not Google Earth. What we are working on now is a way to export data into the tiles and sample HTML file needed to view your data with the Google Maps API.

We also planning on adding support for the new SuperOverlays support in KML/KMZ files which is I believe what you are talking about. Whether or not that will make it into the next release I do not know.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Matt
    Matt Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2007
    Actually I mean Google Maps export, not Google Earth. What we are working on now is a way to export data into the tiles and sample HTML file needed to view your data with the Google Maps API.

We also planning on adding support for the new SuperOverlays support in KML/KMZ files which is I believe what you are talking about. Whether or not that will make it into the next release I do not know.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Great news either way. I guess it's finally time for me to figure out the Google Maps API.

Thanks.

Matt