Global Mapper v25.0

WMS layers

kaleden
kaleden Global Mapper User
edited August 2008 in Downloading Imagery
I'm really glad WMS queries are possible through Global Mapper. I was wondering if there's a way to add multiple layers to a given request.

I ask because I'm using the USGS_EDC_Ortho_Urban WMS to download high resolution aerials. Unfortunately, the aerial I'm interested in (Seattle 0.3m), is broken into 4 layers. I've added 4 WMS servers, each pointing to a different layer and hope I chose the correct layer when requesting data, but using 1 WMS request which overlaps 4 layers would make the process that much easier.

Is there a way to add multiple layers to a single WMS entry? Could I modify the wms_user_sources.txt to query multiple layers?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    What you can do when building your source is select the root of the tree rather than an individual layer. Then all of the layers under that selection will be used, which should include the 4 layers that you want. These will each show up as a different layer in the Control Center. This should ensure that some layer with data in your desired area is always loaded.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kaleden
    edited August 2008
    Aha. Neat! That certainly works. The only problem with this method is that I have to hold down the 'enter' key while queries are sent to layers outside my bounds.

It's odd: I get a lot of 'query failed with status code 404' with this server. If I persist, the query goes through and the aerials appear. I guess the USGS server just can't handle all the requests.

Thanks, Mike.

-Kurt
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Try hitting the Escape key to abort your draw, then open the Control Center and close all of the layers except for the ones that you are interested in.

A 404 error indicates that the requested URL wasn't find. Most likely there are some layers in the complete layer list for the source that aren't actually ready for use yet, resulting in errors for those layers.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kaleden
    edited August 2008
    Ooo, tricky! Yeah, the 404 is kinda weird. If I try to download the exact same document, sometimes it will download and sometimes it will not. Try it:
    Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_2*http://ims.cr.usgs.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_Urban*wms*Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_2?

Aha! And it would appear I just found the answer to my first question: if I delineate each layer with '??' I can create a WMS server with specific layers. Awesome! Example:
    Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005*http://ims.cr.usgs.gov/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_Urban*wms*Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_1??Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_2??Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_3??Seattle_0.3m_Color_Sep_2005_4?

• global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    I had completely forgotten that you could specify layers like that in the wms_user_sources.txt file. Sometimes users find things that even I don't remember and I wrote them!

I got a 404 a couple of times too with this source. I have gone ahead and updated the process of getting the capabilities document to support retrying a few times so that it will hopefully work at least once. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kaleden
    edited August 2008
    Alright, here's another :D

Is there a way to tell Global Mapper that the WMS server provides elevation data, like the provided "United States Elevation Data (NED) (30m Resolution)" WMS data source does?

I ask because I'm interested in grabbing the 10m resolution from the following:
    NED Contiguous U. S. 1/3W arc second elevation data*http://ims.cr.usgs.gov:80/servlet19/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Elev_NED_3*WMS&*NED.CONUS_NED_13W?

• global_mapper
    edited August 2008
    Global Mapper should automatically detect when a WMS source is serving up actual elevation data. In the case of the 10m NED source that you listed I believe what is being served up is a grayscale rendering of the elevation data and not something that contains the actual elevation values.

If someone does offer the 10m NED data via a WMS source as actual elevation data and not just a rendering, we would certainly add built-in support for that data source.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com