Global Mapper v25.0

Pressing ESC while screen is redrawing causes GM to crash

GM 17.2.1 b052716 64-bit Win 8.2
Tagged:

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

I recommend getting the latest release of Global Mapper to see if the problem has already been fixed. If the problem persists in the latest release, then your best bet is to send an e-mail describing your workflow and the results (error message, etc.), with a copy of your sample data, to Blue Marble Geographics support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). This will ensure that the support team sees the problem and can provide a timely response. Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob
  • No error message. Windows dialog box shows GM has completely crashed.
    We are running 17.2.1 are you saying there is a newer 17.2.1?
    FYI: Happens on a completely different data set too so not related to what is being redrawn.
  • This is very repeatable. Happens frequently. Pressing ESC key is part of work flow for me to "de-select" items selected for editing. Doing so too quickly before all data is redrawn after a pan or other change leads to the crash. Windows error dialog box is attached.
  • bmg_bob
    PConlin said:
    We are running 17.2.1 are you saying there is a newer 17.2.1?

Yes.  We released 17.2.2 last week.  I can't reproduce your problem this using this version.

My workflow is to select some features using the Digitizer, then zoom using the mouse wheel.  Before data is redrawn, I press the ESC key.  I don't get a crash.  Are you doing something different?

Cheers,

Bob
  • The GM website download page says the latest is 17.2.  I just downloaded and it turns out the file is for 17.2.2.  Is there anyway to keep the download page updated with the correct version number?  I couldn't find 17.2.2 on the announcement section of the forum.  Where should we look for this information? The "check for updates" menu on GM 17.2.1 didn't show 17.2.2 was available.  How else can we check?  I can't find release notes for 17.2.2.  Can you provide a link?

Installing 17.2.2 now to is if this redraw crashing bug continues...
  • No longer crashing.  THANK YOU for the fast fix.  ;)
    Now what about my questions (above) on version control?
  • bmg_bob
    Hello,

The "Check for Updates..." menu item only checks for major version updates (e.g., 17.1 to 17.2).  The date on the download page gets updated when a new minor version is available -- if that date is later than the build date on your version, then there is a new minor release.   The release notes get updated for each major release.  You can find the list in the installation folder, in a file called WhatsNew.rtf.

Cheers,

Bob
  • jubxie
    jubxie Global Mapper User
    I am still experiencing this to some degree. I developed the habit of repeatedly pressing the esc key to stop the update or loading of data. I started doing this as GM would not offer any information after the ESC press to let me know if the data had stopped or was going to continue to load. I am not a patient man... It never used to crash on me doing that.  Since a few releases of v17 ago, and up to 17.2.4 from Aug 5th, it is still crashing if I repeatedly press the escape. It's pretty repeatable for me when loading World Images data and pressing the ESC repeatedly during refresh.
  • bmg_bob
    jubxie said:
    I am still experiencing this to some degree. I developed the habit of repeatedly pressing the esc key to stop the update or loading of data. I started doing this as GM would not offer any information after the ESC press to let me know if the data had stopped or was going to continue to load. I am not a patient man... It never used to crash on me doing that.  Since a few releases of v17 ago, and up to 17.2.4 from Aug 5th, it is still crashing if I repeatedly press the escape. It's pretty repeatable for me when loading World Images data and pressing the ESC repeatedly during refresh.
    I recommend that you send an e-mail describing your workflow and the results, with a copy of your sample data, to Blue Marble Geographics support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com).  This will ensure that the support team sees the problem and can provide you with a timely response.  Thank you.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • darren1000
    darren1000 Global Mapper User Unconfirmed
    I can confirm this as well with versions 17.2 on.  (I have downloaded 17.2.4 but still happens.  It does seem to have to do with the size of the dataset though.  I have a main dataset that is quite large.  If I have something selected with the digitizer tool and then hit the escape button to unselect the program crashes every time.  If I click with the digitizer in an open area to unselect everything is fine.  When I repeat this behaviour with a small dataset the error does not seem to occur.  Hopefully this helps.
  • Version 17.2.4 crashes whenever the ESC key is pressed in what should be a de-select of items selected for editing with the Digitizer Tool (same problem which started this thread).  I can't get it to crash with a small dataset but it is VERY repeatable with several of our larger workspaces loaded.  I thought this was fixed in version 17.2.2 (see my earlier post) but now I'm doubting my memory.  Certainly it happened in 17.2 and now in 17.2.4.

As a test I started a new workspace and loaded some Census Tiger data sets.  I couldn't get the ESC key to crash it until I also loaded some Online Data Sources, specifically Bing Maps Imagery.  Then it crashed with the ESC key almost immediately.  I don't think it is specific to Bing but likely related to having Online Data Sources displayed in the workspace.

I really hope this clue helps because we can't use Gobalmapper in this fragile condition...

BTW, it would be GREAT if GM cached the Online Data so it doesn't need to be re-downloaded every screen zoom/redraw.  Maybe this could be the fix to this ESC crash problem??  I'm not suggesting you "copy" the online data as I can see how that might violate some terms of use somewhere.  But certainly a temporal cache of just the displayed subset of the on-line data, using some sort of non-standard file format would be ok, just to speed redraws.  Make the cache auto-delete if GM is closed or the layer is removed so you can't be accused of taking their data.
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    I'm curious if this problem still happens for you in the just released v18.0? You can get that from http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • bmg_mike
    Also in regards to online data, Global Mapper does heavily cache the online data sources, so if you go to the same area at similar zoom levels from the same source the locally cached data should be used. The online sources do have many zoom levels so if you are zooming in and out a lot it may take a while before you have much detailed data cached.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • jubxie
    I do remember some language about a previously fixed "escape key crash", but it is alive and well in 17.2.4. I send in an official bug report in late August, but BM was not able to recreate. Just as PConlin describes, hitting escape with a vector selected causes an instant crash when online data sources are loaded (World Images in my case).

So, I went to download the latest V17 and was presented with the following:

Global Mapper
     v17.2 64-bit

Size: 98 MB
    Date: 08/16/2016

This linked to a 17.2.2 from July, which did not have the crash. The versioning seems very unusual. Short story, reverting back the this version fixes the bug. I don't know about V18 as I haven't upgraded yet. 

• Bump.  Any news on when there will be a fix for the ESC key crash?  Reverting back to v17.2.2 or testing v18 is not a solution.
  • bmg_mike
    I was able to reproduce this in v17.2.5 and get it fixed. The bug that caused it was added in early May and had already been fixed for v18. There is an updated v17 daily build at the following location:

32-bit: http://data.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/dailybuilds/17.2/global_mapper17_setup.exe

64-bit: http://data.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/dailybuilds/17.2/global_mapper17_setup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru

• jubxie
    This is still happening to me.... It seem to happen mostly with world images. I'm using the Oct. 2 build of 17.2.5. Any ideas?
  • Not happening to us anymore.  On Oct 2 build of 17.2.5.
  • bmg_mike
    jubxie,

Can you try the v18 release (get a trial if necessary) from http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-download.php and see if it still happens there?

A much more thorough fix was done in v18 as the entire online architecture (as well as all raster drawing) was re-done to be multi-threaded. We just patched this particular problem in v17.2.5 builds, but it's possible some other thread-related issues are getting you that are more complex and not updated.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Me and my big mouth. I just hit ESC to unselect what the digitizer tool had selected and it crashed. Lost a couple of hours of very intricate work. VERY frustrating when you can no long trust your tools. The online data on the screen at the time was "Bing Maps Imagery".
  • jubxie
    I hope PConlin's string of expletives was not exponentially louder than mine, as I only lost 15min of work. I've installed v18 (Trial Mode) and I will use that for the next two weeks. From your explanation Mike, I expect that moving to v18 is going to be the real solution. I knew that I would be taking advantage of the v18 upgrade soon, but I didn't want to have to do it to all the other 7 licenses we have. They just are not used often enough. The v17 was going to be the end of the line for some installs. I suppose for those lesser used licenses, we will go back to the version before the bug was introduced.

Best,

Jimmy
  • bmg_mike
    PConlin,

I'm very sorry about the crash, I hope you had workspaces saved so you didn't lose too much work. There is an option in the Advanced section of the General tab of the Config dialog to automatically save backup workspaces every so many operations. These options are easier to find with the v18 re-organization of the Config dialog.

Can you provide the errlog.txt file from the settings file path from the Help->About dialog (another option easier to work with in v18) so I can see if there are any clues to the crash there? Can you also confirm the build date and time on the Help->About dialog (or just provide a screenshot)?

I will also try and reproduce with the latest v17 build.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • We are running 17.2.5 b100216 64-bit
    I just sent the errlog.txt file to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com.
    Thanks for looking into this again.
  • bmg_mike
    I have updated this but for some reason it isn't posting. If you download the builds from the message a few up from this there will be more error catching in case the problem is where I suspect it is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • jubxie
    Just to follow up on V18. I have not had it crash, but the trial is kind of a joke, as it only allows a few exports of each format before requiring a full upgrade. I can't test any longer, as I can't export my data. Ug
  • bmg_mike
    The trial with exports is only meant for users to confirm that things work before purchasing, hence the very limited number and size of exports with the trial license.

Hopefully the latest v17 build eliminates the crash with no error when using ESC to abort online layer downloads. I have not been able to reproduce any crashes in v17 with that workflow, although v17 doesn't have many of the other improvements that are in v18 to handle multi-core processing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru