Global Mapper v25.0

Open data file limit?

Perry
Perry Global Mapper User
edited August 2008 in Technical Support
Is there a limit to the number of data files which can be opened at one time? I’ve got a folder with 845 geotiff elevation files so far (about ½ of my state). When I try to open all of them at once I get nothing. If I load part of them at a time I can get them to load. I’m using GM 9.03 build Jul 31 2008.

Thanks,

Perry

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Perry,

Try opening them all using the File->Open All Files in Directory Tree menu command. If you select too many files at once in a normal Windows file dialog you can get odd results on what is actually loaded due to a limitation in Windows.

Another option for working with that many files at once would be to use the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command to create a map catalog to manage the files.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Perry
    Perry Global Mapper User
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Mike,

Can you tell me more about Map Catalogs? If I use the Add Directory button and then later add more files to that directory will GM include them the next time I open the catalog file? Or is their an easy way to have it add the new files?

I created a new Map Catalog of the Geotif elevation files using the Add Directory button; why does everything show with a red crosshatch across it?
    When I open the Map Catalog file all I get is the red crosshatch plus other vector data I had loaded (but did not tell it to add to the catalog). What am I not understanding / doing wrong?

Thanks,

Perry
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Perry,

There is not any way to have new files that you add to a directory automatically show up in a map catalog. You would need to add those new files to the map catalog manually.

The map catalog is used to manage large collections of files and automatically load and unload files as needed for display and export. The map catalog includes the ability to control at what zoom ranges to load and display the data and when to just show the bounding box (the red crosshatch) of the data instead. If you zoom in on the red crosshatch the actual data will eventually be loaded and displayed. To control when this happens, just select the map catalog layer in the Control Center and press Options.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com