Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper Mobile is looking for Beta Testers

Rayna Winters
Rayna Winters Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2016 in Announcement and News

We are excited to announce the upcoming release of Global Mapper Mobile for iPhone and iPad! This mobile application offers tools to use in the field for data collection, GPS tracking, template-based attribute collection, and camera integration. Data is transferred to the new mobile app via iTunes and the new Global Mapper Mobile Package format, exportable directly from Global Mapper 17.1

Global Mapper Mobile features include:

• Display of raster and vector data
  • GPS positioning
  • Manual point, line, or area data entry
  • GPS-based point, line, or area data entry
  • Automatic tracking of points, lines or areas
  • Data review capabilities
  • Template-based data collection

If you are interested in participating in the closed Beta process please e-mail beta@bluemarblegeo.com and we will add you to our list. In your request please include your full name, and email address, your invitation will be bound to your email.  Participants must have an iPhone or iPad with iOS 9.0 or later.  An onboard GPS is necessary for location based tracking and data creation.  For iPad devices without and onboard GPS, data can still be viewed and edited manually.  Beta participation is enabled through the Apple TestFlight app for iOS.

We are looking forward to your feedback during the beta period.

Tagged:

Comments

• PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    Wow - that's great!
  • The app on testflight will be activated by email, the installation went smoothly, the app starts after a short time and is currently stable. What is missing is a small instructions document or a help menu, just so that you can more easily learn how to use GlobalMapperIOS, also the GlobalMapper-mobile-Packer-file needs an extended explanation, the tools for point, line and surface can be operated almost without additional help. First impressions ...
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Awesome. I just sent my email in. How long is the Beta program expected to last?
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    Karrob,

Thanks for the feedback. The current version has a Quick Start document that should show up the first time you run the app, and can be viewed any time after from the Info ("circle i") button, just below and to the right of the package file list. We're currently working on the more in-depth help document which will be on-line and accessible from the app.

Dusty,

We hope to release this month.
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited May 2016
    Hi folks, just thought I'd drop in and give an update on the beta.  It's been going well, we are getting good feedback and we've also made some advances in compression of the mobile package format that will allow us to handle much larger raster datasets on the mobile device, and handle it much faster.  We're going to be making some tweaks to support longer form text entry that some of you have asked for, and are going to be looking at connecting to external GPS units in a little more detail as well.  Overall the release is shaping up and as Peter mentioned we will be releasing soon, but due to the unknowns of the approval process at Apple, we're not able to say exactly when that will be quite yet, but it will definitely be at some point soon after the Global Mapper 17.2.  Thanks for all your help and keep that feedback coming!
    Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • i take my first two *.gmmp-files to the ipad, it's not easy to put it there, because i have english instructions and a german language itunes, but it doesn't matter, if there's a will, there's a way :-)
    the first gmmp-file works normally, but the second gaves me an error-alert, what happend ?
  • PShorey
    edited May 2016
    Karrob,

Unfortunately that error message doesn't give me enough information to say for sure what the problem is. We are updating the app frequently, so make sure you are using the latest version. Build 27 is currently available to external beta testers, and build 29 is pending Apple review and should be available soon. If you still see the error with build 29, please send the gmmp file to beta@bluemarblegeo.com, ATTN: Peter, and I would be happy to take a look at it.

• how do i get the update ? i have v 1.0.0.25 
  • PShorey
    My mistake, build 27 was not released to external beta testers. They are waiting for 29 to be approved. You don't have to wait. Please send your gmmp to beta@bluemarblegeo.com.
  • sent !
  • when loading a GMMP-files the coordinates of mgi-austria-NTv2 grid (=original) converted to wgs84 and thus it comes to massive distortions of the presentation, how can i change in GobalMapperIOS the coordinate system?
  • did you know that the GMMP-files directly can be loaded from an email or another app into GlobalMapperIOS? there is no itunes needed !
  • how can i delete gmmp-files off the list ?
  • PShorey
    I received your package file yesterday and identified the problem. I will be working on a fix today. In the mean time, I sent you a reworked file that you should be able to load. GM Mobile only supports WGS84 lat/lon right now. Porting all of Global Mapper's projection library will be quite a project, but we hope to support at least some other projections such as UTM in a future release. While you no longer need iTunes to place package files on your device, it is still needed to delete them. I will be adding an option to delete them directly from the app soon.
  • Dave_in_Edmonton
    Dave_in_Edmonton Global Mapper User Trusted User
    I have two problems, closely related to each other. I was able to download to my ipad a gmmp file, but since the ipad is wifi only, I was relying on my Dual xgps 160 for location. When I get to the remote site, the ipad will not load up the already loaded gmmp file as it needs internet connection.  I then used my iphone which had the  same gmmp file, no probelm with collecting data with its internal antenna. I also tried to connect it to the XGPS 160, but got "accuracy errors". So, two problems are 1) not being able to use app unless it has an internet connection, and 2) inability to use external gps.

I tried figure out how to make a template for specific field to add to the data, but was unable to figure it out. Conversly I have used GISCloud's MDC and it was a snap to make and use a data collection template, maybe it is worth looking at.

Dave
  • PShorey
    edited May 2016
    Dave,

Thank you for your feedback. We are still considering various licensing models, and being able to use the app where internet connectivity spotty is a issue we will be addressing. We are also investigating the use of external GPS units.

Edit:
    I have made a change in the license validation that will allow you to use the app when you cannot get an internet connection. That will be in the next released build, v 1.0.0.30 or later.
  • bisenberger
    bisenberger Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hope you have an android version of this.
  • PShorey
    Bisenberger,

Sorry, we don't have a firm date on when an Android version will be available, but it is definitely in our plans. It will be after the iOS version has been out for a while. Watch this forum for an announcement.
  • kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Please keep us posted as to when you do have a port to Android; I'll be happy to test Global Mapper Mobile for Android on my tablet when it's ready.
  • Brilliant!!! I'm ready to test on my iPad and I'll be happy to test Global Mapper Mobile for Android on my S5.
  • i made my first measurement in my garden, while the possibilities problems have revealed or possibly faulty typed by me (?)
    1) the accuracy or the positioning was not where i stood and gone, perhaps this is due to the poor conversion of data from my country coordinate system into wgs84 system? or anything else ?
    2) after i made the measurement anyway, turned the question of how i can export or save the new layer? i have no possibility found to do that
    3) follow phenomenon: if i can save the layer, how do i get the new data back into my system in the office?
    attached some screenshots
  • PShorey
    Karrob,

1) We'll double check the accuracy of GPS positions. How far off are the points?
    2) To save your work, tap the "<" button on top left of main screen to show file menu. Then tap the button on left or bottom toolbar to show export options. You may Save, Save As (different file name), or Email.
    3) To transfer the data to your desktop, you may Email (step 2), or use iTunes to copy files from device to desktop. If you use iTunes, select your device (top left icon), Apps, then scroll all the way down to File Sharing, select Global Mapper Mobile, then right click on the file you would like to transfer.
  • PShorey
    Zaq,

If you would like to be a beta tester for iOS, send an email to beta@bluemarblegeo.com and Rayna would be happy to get you set up. However, beta testing will be ending soon. We just received word from Apple that the app has passed their review. We'll probably be making a few more last minute tweaks and release soon. Work on the Android version will be starting right away. Stay tuned for updates.
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Any update on this? If release is not imminent now then I'd be very interested in joining the beta programme.
  • kbellis
    edited June 2016
    karrob said:
    i made my first measurement in my garden, while the possibilities problems have revealed or possibly faulty typed by me (?)
    1) the accuracy or the positioning was not where i stood and gone, perhaps this is due to the poor conversion of data from my country coordinate system into wgs84 system? or anything else ?

Hi Karrob,
    Your first question doesn't quantify suspected errors in position. If you notice in the first screen capture, the indicated accuracy was 10m. That value is not unreasonable for the consumer-grade GPS chips that are in typical mobile devices. To better test the positional accuracy of your device, you'll need to find a published control point near where you live, drive there, and then occupy the location with your device while noting the elevation above the mark/ monument. To locate such a control point, you might first inquire with the Austrian Technical University at Wien. That way you'll be able to temper your positional expectations for your phone. Also keep in mind your physical environment, that is, use a control point that is out in an open area where direct lines of sight between your device and the sky are not interrupted by trees, buildings and other physical obstructions. This test will give you your best expectation as to how accurate your phone can be under similar conditions. Oh, and don't forget to scrutinize your elevation as reported on your phone with the elevation of the mark that you occupy. The 10m error shown by your device may be an overall 3D error estimate wherein the vertical is often the worst followed by better looking numbers east, and north.

The other thing to realize, WGS84 is where we begin, not where we end up. Three-dimensional coordinates centered upon 0,0,0 (Earth Centered, Earth Fixed) are then equated to their position on a defined surface, the WGS84 ellipsoid. That lat and land you see on your phone is it. What Global Mapper does so elegantly is to allow the user to project the points on the ellipsoid to any other surface.

And if you're still craving better positional accuracy from your phone, do a search on: external gps antenna for iphone

2) after i made the measurement anyway, turned the question of how i can export or save the new layer? i have no possibility found to do that

I'm not an iOS guy, but I use an app that is quite wonderful for getting files off of my phone and tablet: WiFi File Transfer Pro (for Android). There are other apps that do this, but I didn't see any reason to look further after I found this app. I tried the free version and was so impressed with it, I didn't think twice about paying a little for this great utility.

• PShorey
    tjhb said:
    Any update on this? If release is not imminent now then I'd be very interested in joining the beta programme.

Hi tjhb,

Look for an announcement in the next few days. You may still sign up as a beta tester. We're thinking we may offer beta updates through that channel, similar to the GM desktop daily updates.
  • kbellis
    Hello PShorey,

Other software that I have tested; e.g., Javad Mobile Tools for Android, routinely will update itself on Android devices automatically whenever a new release gets pushed out. In that instance (JMT for Android), the initial license had to first be purchased ($20) through the Google Play Store. After that, it's largely been clear sailing, though Google got overly fussy using the artwork I developed for the app. Such automated delivery systems are preferred as opposed to the user having to randomly go, look for and then manually download something, install it, etc.

What / how will licensing be handled? Will my license for Global Mapper (desktop) require buying a separate license for Global Mapper Mobile for Android? Or will a desktop license be extended to mobile devices?

• PShorey
    Kelly,

For this first release anyway, the mobile app will be free and will not require any sort of licensing. However, it will only import/export data in Global Mapper Mobile Package (*.gmmp) format. These files can only be generated with a licensed version of Global Mapper desktop. (A basic gmmp is included so that people can try out the various features of the app, but not export anything based on that file.) Once created, the gmmp can be placed on your mobile device(s), field data added, and then exported back to the desktop app for further analysis and integration with other data. At some point, as more powerful features are added to the mobile app, and to the desktop side for processing mobile data, we will be changing the licensing policy. We're still working on exactly what that will look like and what we will be charging for it.

• kbellis
    Thank you for the reply PShorey.

The GPS receiver in my tablet and phone will do in a pinch, but will, or can GMM already, connect with external GPS receivers via Bluetooth?

This discussion has been closed.