Global Mapper v25.0

Exported .PRJ from file shows different ProjectionSystem than it was taken from

stihl
stihl Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Dear GlobalMapper,

I'm using GM V17.1 and I haven't had this issue in earlier versions of 16 and 15.

I have a shapefile in the projection system Amersfoort RD New (epsg 28992). In Globalmapper this epsg code directs to "Dutch (RD)". This is all correct.

However when I export this file and import it back in, it *always* loads in the wrong projection system namely "Oblique Stereographic" with the datum Dutch (RD). This will cause a shift of several meters in the data. 

What it should do is load the file in the Dutch (RD) projection and not Oblique. However in the .PRJ file it states that it should load in Oblique. In older versions it would not do anythig with this information and instead automatically load the files in Dutch (RD) in GlobalMapper, not causing a shift. This has changed since V17.

What can I do that files disregard the PROJCS in the .PRJ or make it redirect to Dutch RD and not Oblique Stereographic?

Kind regards,
Jasper

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

Please attach a zip archive containing the original shapefile and the one that you exported so we can investigate further.  Thanks.

Cheers,

Bob

• stihl
    stihl Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi Bob,

I've attached a zip with two shapefiles and three screenshots.
    To clarify:

In v15 everything goes well. Whichever shapefile I open first, they both open in Dutch (RD) as seen in the right lower corner.

In v17 it shows a shift if I load the original shapefile in first (which loads in Dutch (RD) and then open the exported shapefile (done in v17) of the same original.

Also in v17 it shows a shift when I load the exported file in first and then load the original. Difference here is that it loads in OBSTER (DUTCH) which is incorrect. It should be Dutch (RD) at all times.
  • bmg_bob
    Hello,

Thank you for sending the files.  When I load the "original" and "exported" files, they line up perfectly in projection Dutch Grid (RD).  I recommend that you try downloading the latest daily build to see if the files look any different.  We fixed a bug related to reading Oblique Stereographic projections a week or two ago, but that fix has not made it into the latest official release yet -- it is in the daily build

Cheers,

Bob
  • stihl
    Answer ✓
    Hey Bob!

It appears that the daily build you suggested solved the problem!
    However, now whenever I open a shapefile with just a 1pixel black border GM shows it with a filled solid black color.
    Then when I go to the shapefile vector options and go to the tab 'Area style' and click on 'Use same style for all features' it shows it with the regular default options of just a black border. Then when I click on OK and click away the other window, GM refreshes and it shows the outlines as it should with just a black border.
  • bmg_bob
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

Our trusty bug reporting system tells me that the fill style issue was fixed yesterday, and is in today's daily build.  I have installed the daily build and confirmed that this is true.

Cheers,

Bob
  • stihl
    Dear Bob,

Thanks a bazillion! It's now all working as intended!!