Global Mapper v25.0

How to connect points with a line vertically

chuck
chuck Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Folks:

This is what I have done.  I have loaded in two shapefiles containing the same data points.  In one shapefile I used the Attribute Calculator to scale the elevation values from positive to negative values.  In the other I multiplied all elevation values by zero.  This has resulted in two shapefile layers for point data positioned over one another - X,Y's are all identical; however, the elevation values for any two points stacked on each other are different.

I am trying to connect each point stacked vertically with a vertical line.  This resulting line would represent a vertical well bore path.

I have tried the advance create tool and any line that I can generate is connecting points in a horizontal plane.  I can select the stacked points using the digitizer tool but I can only connect a single set of stacked points individually.  Is there a way to connect the points vertically by selecting all?

Thank you in advance.

-Chuck

Global Mapper v17.1.1 (b020516) [64-bit] - REGISTERED 

Answers

• chuck
    chuck Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Folks:

Is this a trivial matter and I am overlooking the tool to be able to do so?

Chuck
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hi Chuck,

Sorry...looks like I missed this when you originally posted it.

You should be able to use Advanced Feature Creation | Create New Line Feature from Selected Points. When asked to specify the maximum distance between points, use a very small number (e.g., 0.001).  This should connect vertically the points that have the same X and Y.

Cheers,

Bob
  • chuck
    chuck Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thank you very much . . .

Peace,

-Chuc