Global Mapper v25.0

PostGIS LIDAR

Hi,

I had insert a lot of LIDAR points in PostGIS with pgpointcloud extension and PDAL, and I'm testing Global Mapper 17 to display this point but it's very slow. 3D is just... horrible to display...

When I load las file it's very fast.

Is there a method to make my points in PostGIS be considered LIDAR in Global Mapper or other for more performance (and fast 3D) ?

Thanks,
Eric

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi Eric,

How did you get Global Mapper to load the points from PostGIS? If you can export to .las, or better, .laz, that would allow Global Mapper to treat them as Lidar points.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,

I use "Open Spatial Database" to load the points from PostGIS.
    The goal is to read my points from PostGIS as fast as a LIDAR file. I feel that the problem is with the display style for wich GM using 'images' for PostGIS and real point for LIDAR file.

Do you have an idea ?

Thanks,
    Eric

• To illustrate my problem, here 2 images :

From LIDAR file :

From PostGIS data :

Thanks,
    Eric
  • JeffH@BMG
    Hi Eric,

When you use "Open Spatial Data File" to open your point cloud, what is the file extension of the point cloud that you're using? Again, if you can get PostGIS to export your data as a known Lidar format like .las or .laz, ESRI's .zLas, Mr SID's .sid, etc.) that would be the best option: we can import those directly into Global Mapper as a point cloud, which we handle pretty efficiently, by contrast with the way that we deal with collections of point features.

~Jeff
  • Jeff,

I use "Open Spatial Data" no "Open Spatial Data File", so I don't use file but my data directly from database.
    If I well understood the point cloud of my database can not be seen as LIDAR data ?
    We don't want to use LAS files (or LAZ) because we have too much data and it would be restrictive to extract data from PostGIS to LIDAR files to read them into GM...

Thanks,
    Eric
  • JeffH@BMG
    OK, thanks for the clarification -- I get it now. I've opened ticket #17395 for this. We'll evaluate it for inclusion in some future version of Global Mapper.

Is there some way that we'd be able to identify such a database, or would be just ask the user? We'd also need to be able to identify the point metadata (return#, color, timestamp, etc.). We'll research all that. Also note that this would be something of an import operation under the hood, at least at first. But it does seem feasible to be able to load points as a Lidar point cloud and have it display faster than a point feature collection.

We'll get back to you when we have an implementation or if we have more questions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • ehbr
    edited February 2016
    I think it would be interesting for you to take a look on the side of the pgpointcloud extension and perhaps treat data as pcpoint and pcpatch.

Anyway thanks you very much Jeff !

Eric