Global Mapper v25.0

Clutter file

Hi support,
I have a 2 week trial license and i was wondering how i can do the following operation in global mapper.
I have what we call a clutter file. which is  basically, a geographical area, assigned different colors and codes. 
For example, a residential area is assigned a color of red and a code of 5 and an industrial area is assigned yellow color and code 6 and so on.
What i am trying to do is merging multiple areas. lets say there are areas with codes 4, 5 and 6 and different colors. I want to assign one code to all of these categories. lets say code 7 to represent 4,5 and 6 all with the same color. How can i achieve this in global mapper?

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Hi twc_king,

When you say that the areas have a "code", is that an attribute? In that case, you can use the attribute calculator to create a new attribute, say, "new_code" or whatever, and if the original "code" attribute is 4, 5, or 6, make "new_code" equal to 7, and otherwise use the "code" value. When that's done, you can re-color the vector layer using the "new_code" using Vector Options / Area Styles.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Thanks you for your response Jeff.
    Here is the dropbox link of the image.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uzu9meywhlrvfqm/AACdHroTbsvLts2iTGXsdy53a?dl=0

The file has assigned colors to geographical areas based on the clutter. for example, industrial area is given the color yellow and code/ palette index of 20.  which i believe is what you are referring to as attribute.
    lets say, i want to change these codes or attributes from 4,5,6 to 6. How can i do that? I have tried edit selected label in raster options but it doesnt give desired results. I have an 8bit file and i tried changing the indices 251 ,253 to 200 but couldnt see the changes in the exported file.

Thanks
  • I am new to global mapper. How can i use attribute calculator ? can you please guide me?
  • I have figured that i have to write a script to make these changes. I am trying to figure out how i can do that.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    You can find an archived webinar that covers the basics of scripting here.
  • GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00

// Create new ELEV_FT attribute with attribute in feet in any loaded layers
    NEW_ATTR="200" SOURCE_ATTR="251" 

This doesnt look correct to me but i think this is how it would be done.
  • I know the basics now. But not sure how i can see what kind of attributes are there in the file. how are they named. what variables there are associated with the file. I need more information to address these variables.
    and how to find what are the minimum and maximum values. How do i get this information on attributes?
    and then the goal is to change attribute values from 250,251, 253 to 250
  • twc_king
    edited January 2016
    Apparently i can change existing features using digitizer but not sure how to do that. but i dont know how i can select multiple patches with attribute value of 250.
  • bmg_bob
    What kind of data are you using?  The Digitizer works on vector data.
  • twc_king
    edited January 2016
    The file is available at this location. its a grdas image file.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uzu9meywhlrvfqm/AACdHroTbsvLts2iTGXsdy53a?dl=0
  • bmg_bob
    You have raster data, so you don't have attributes and the Digitizer will not be useful.  It appears that your data has a palette, where each pixel contains a value from 0 to 255, and each value corresponds to a color.  It sounds like you want to change some of the colors in the palette.  Is this correct?
  • twc_king
    edited January 2016
    pixels of size 2 by m bins which colors and values assigned. For example, different type of buildings depending on their construction and height have different values. lets say 4,5,6 etc. the goal to change the values. For example, 4,5,6 will be mapped to one value. lets say 4. so all areas represented by 4, 5 and 6 in the eventual file will be represented by 4. Color is not of big important once this change has been made a color can be assigned.