Global Mapper v25.0

Can I manually move labels?

landryg
landryg Global Mapper User
I have a map where there are overlapping area features to show multiple owners for the same property. For the map, I would like to display both owners names, but they overlap each other (see attachment). Is there a way in Global Mapper to manually move labels so they do not overlap?

Thank you.

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Do the two areas completely overlap (i.e., share the same geometry) or is it a partial overlap?  It is hard to tell from the screen capture.  

Also, what version of Global Mapper are you using?
  • landryg
    landryg Global Mapper User
    Using v.17. And yes the areas completely overlap. They belong to the same shapefile.

Here's a little further explanation of what I'm doing:

What you are seeing are two identical shapes stacked on top of each other, but each shape has a different owner. Since the shapes are translucent, the viewer will know the shape has multiple owners as the area goes more opaque. I've included another example with an individual owner of a parcel on the bottom and two owners on top. See the slight color change? The color change is a great visual trigger when the map is zoomed out, but I need to display owners for areas that are zoomed in. This is where the owner attribute labels overlap, so I'm trying to figure out a way to manually move these labels without making separate text features for each parcel.

Let me know if you need more clarification. 
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for the clarification.  Unfortunately, there is currently not a good way to resolve those label position conflicts using the default labeling capabilities related to area features.  We have a number of items on our task list related to improving the way that Global Mapper handles labels, but they have not been implemented yet.

The best work around is probably to create a new point at the centroid of each of your area features (the function is under Advanced Feature Creation Options on the Digitizer menu).  When you do that, Global Mapper will copy the attributes from the area feature, and you can use those attributes to define labels.  The default positioning of point feature labels should resolve your conflict.