Global Mapper v25.0

Problems opening a USGS Geotiff

Doe
Doe Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2015 in Technical Support
I've downloaded a 64 Mb geotiff from the USGS website. The tiff image opens correctly (all colors and text) with an image viewer. In GM, Global Mapper v16.1.5 (b042115) [64-bit] - REGISTERED, the image opens as a gray image, roughly in the proper map region. It is essentially unusable. Is there an issue with the version of the geotiff? Any suggest work arounds?

Thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Which map, Mike?
    Mykle
  • Doe
    Doe Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Mykle wrote: »
    Which map, Mike?
    Mykle

Hey Mykle,

It is a USGS map by Ed DeWitt et al for the area around Prescott to Verde Valley SI Map 2996. I found a work around by opening the geotiff in GM15 on another machine and exporting a GeoPDF. GM16.1 was able to read the GM15 geoPDF. I think GM16.1 must have a problem reading the geotiff format as it plotted roughly in the right place.

Hooray for GM15!

Hope you are doing well.

Mike
  • Mykle
    edited April 2015
    Found the map at USGS Scientific Investigations Map 2996: Geologic map of Prescott National Forest and the headwaters of the Verde River, Yavapai and Coconino Counties, Arizona but it is a smaller PDF file.
    It was not georeferenced, but loaded (took several minutes) and georeferenced without problems.
    The downloads folder includes shapefiles that also loaded fine, both geology and basemap zip files.
    Interesting area in which we work now and then.
    Cheers,
    Mykle
  • Mykle
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm, the forum expanded the link title from the URL. Clicking on such a link has been taking us to a forum page, although this one works properly. Otherwise, right-click and copy the link address to your browser and it will work.
    Mykle
  • Doe
    Doe Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Thanks again Mykle. I saw the pdf and downloaded it. There is also a geotiff of the file. The geotiff would not load properly in GM16.1 but would load correctly in GM15 where I could export it as a geopdf that GM 16.1 could read. I use it as a layer along with shape files for the area. I had a few samples from that region and have compiled a wide range of maps for that area. Quite complicated.

Cheers,

Mike