Global Mapper v25.0

select temp folder name for sqlitedb export

bobwills
bobwills Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2015 in Suggestion Box
Is it possible to add the facility to let me pick the temp folder name when exporting sqlitedb databases so I can make use of multiple instances working in parallel with the option to ignore existing tiles?

This will boost production of the database many times over for me assuming that there is not a special reason why it would not work.

Comments

• Geo
    Geo Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2015
    Manually Setting Cache?
    Dean,

Global Mapper uses the Windows TEMP system environment variable to determine where to store temporary files. In Vista, these are at:

system properties dialog window
    advanced tab
    environment variables button

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    Dean,

Actually there is a registry tweak for this. If you add a string key at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\TempDir' with the value set to your desired temporary folder that should be used instead of the system TEMP value.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Relocate Temporary Folder to another Drive...
    Craig,

You can either change the system TEMP environment variable through the Windows Control Panel, or you can run 'regedit' and create a string key named 'TempDir' in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper' that has as its value the path that you want to use for temp files. This allows you to override just the Global Mapper temp file path without changing the system temp file path.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com
  • bobwills
    bobwills Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2015
    Hi Geo,
    Thanks for your response.
    Perhaps I should have been a little more specific in my description.
    I am familiar with moving the temp folder directory - and in fact I have it located on a RAM disk to help performance.
    The issue with these exports is that each instance creates a randomly named sub folder in the temp folder that then contains one numbered folder per zoom level.
    What I want is the ability to explicitly name the folder that is currently assigned a random name so that I can run several exports in parallel using the option "skip existing tiles" to build the tile database faster.
    I want to export my project in 256x256 pixel tiles but it will take about 10 days. If I was to run 10 processes it would complete in approximately 1 day.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited March 2015
    Hello,

Given the internals of how the RMaps export works, simply allowing you to specify the temporary folder name would not necessarily work, but there may be another solution. I will take a look at this to see if there is something that can be done quickly. Ultimately, this problem will be alleviated by the multiple thread export functionality that is due in Global Mapper 16.2, though I understand that does not help you today.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bobwills
    edited March 2015
    Hi Bob, Thanks for your reply, and I would be grateful if you could do something - currently it is (for my project which is not particularly large) virtually unusable.
  • bmg_bob
    edited April 2015
    Hello,

I have added the option to make creating RMaps tile sets a two-step process. Step #1 is to create a TMS tile set (using the Global Mapper UI or a script), and step #2 is to create an RMaps tile set directly from the TMS data. To create the RMaps tile set from TMS tiles, you will need to use the new RMaps Options tab on the RMaps Export Options dialog. Check the box next to "Create from existing TMS tiles directory:", then put the path to the TMS tiles in the text box (or use the Select... button). The path to the TMS tiles is the path to the .xml file that you specify when creating TMS tiles.

This should allow you to speed up creation of your tiles by running multiple instances of Global Mapper, then use those tiles to create your RMaps tile set.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bobwills
    edited April 2015
    That sounds fantastic!
    Unfortunately I am away for a week, so I won't get a chance to try it out for a while.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

Brian.
  • bobwills
    edited April 2015
    Hi Bob,
    Just back from my vacation and downloaded the 64bit update and installed it - I now get the following error when trying to start the application...

Error initializing ViewerConfig.
    GlobalMapperInterface_prv_GM.cpp - 292
    Version: v16.1.4 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Apr 10 2015 04:02:41

Stack Trace:
    000000014010EBDC (global_mapper)
    00000001401103DE (global_mapper)
    00000001404AD893 (global_mapper)
    00000001404AE367 (global_mapper)
    00000001400E1F91 (global_mapper)
    00000001400E1CC3 (global_mapper)
    000000014090ECF7 (global_mapper)
    0000000140914AE6 (global_mapper)
    0000000140611344 (global_mapper)
    00000001406117CB (global_mapper)
    000000014060AF2B (global_mapper)
    0000000140035AC7 (global_mapper)
    000007FEEA42C532 (mfc110)
    0000000141FBAF50 (global_mapper)
    00000000770A59ED (kernel32)
    ... (1 Additional Stack Items Hidden)
    Memory: 12,310,106,112 of 17,076,862,976 available, GDI Usage: 14 GDI (Peak 16), 7 User (Peak 7)

regards,

Brian.
  • bmg_bob
    edited April 2015
    Hi Brian,

That was certainly not the expected result.

I downloaded the same 64-bit update, but I was able to start it successfully. I recommend that you send your workflow and the error message information to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). Be sure to mention that you are using a daily build.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bobwills
    edited April 2015
    Hi Bob,
    I think one of us is missing something here...
    I now have a working copy of the new build but I cannot see how to run it to use multiple processes.
    If I run two instances of GM it still creates two randomly named temp folders and therefore the option to skip existing tiles has no impact. I tried using the new tab, but that is looking for a folder that has a completed tile set.
    How exactly do I get the exported tiles to go to a specific folder?

regards,

Brian.

OK - My Bad... I was unfamiliar with TMS tilesets - I tried that but got another error - I will go back to the Support team.