Global Mapper v25.0

Online data download using GM v13.2

nlindsey82
nlindsey82 Global Mapper User
edited March 2015 in Technical Support
My colleagues and I are currently using GM v13.2, and we've been having trouble recently with downloading online data (SRTM, USGS, etc) due to a timeout error. Has there been a server migration since the update to v16? Is there something we need to update in order to continue using the older version?

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited February 2015
    Hello,

Blue Marble Geographics has no control over the servers that provide on-line data in Global Mapper. Sometimes the providers change the parameters required to access the data, in which case we update the current version of Global Mapper to use those parameters. In other cases, the data providers experience outages.

Cheers,

Bob
  • RSVector
    RSVector Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2015
    I am using V15 and realize that GM has no control over the external servers but it there something as far as setting that can effect speed. It takes 15 - 60 seconds to paint a screen using Online Data. Aren't these the same servers that serve up many map applications on the web and they aren't near as slow?

15-60 seconds to load data - can you at least tell me where the bottleneck is, The server returning data to a request, the internet, the GM processing of the data, the computer?
  • RSVector
    edited March 2015
    Also wondering why in the title bar it says (Not Responding).
  • RSVector
    edited March 2015
    Also, Escape won't interrupt. If its the server, why does GM become unresponsive?
  • bmg_bob
    edited March 2015
    Hello,

In Global Mapper 16, we made a number of changes intended to speed up the download and display of data from online sources. The changes include downloading the data in the background and supporting cancellation using the Escape key. In many cases, download and display of online sources is several times faster. You may want to consider downloading a trial of v16 to see if you see those performance improvements in your specific scenario.

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

Cheers,

Bob
  • RSVector
    edited March 2015
    I am seeing a noticeable improvement with the performance of Online data in V16 and would upgrade for that reason alone unfortunately other things have gotten worse and in some cases broken.

Loading my Workspace is about 10 times slower than before - like go to lunch slow.

The "Combine Line Features" tool is broken in several ways.
    1. It will not join an existing line vector that has been split with another - it says the vertices are not lined up exactly - I played with the tolerance but nothing worked.
    2. It crashed hard when joining two vectors.

The attached file I believe illustrates the first problem - using south west data (of the two sets), attempt to join the small 200 ft section at the intersection with the larger section. I used the "snap to" to join the two vectors.V16 Crash-1.gmp
  • bmg_bob
    edited March 2015
    Hello,

I recommend that you send an e-mail with a detailed description of your workflow and your data to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). This will ensure that the support team sees the problem and can determine the solution. Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob