Global Mapper v25.0

Generic ASCII file comment lines

Mykle
Mykle Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Vector Data
Global Mapper v15.2.6 (b071014) [64-bit] [+GEM] - REGISTERED

Do we have a Generic ASCII text file format that provides for skipping records (lines) that begin with a specified character (or two), particularly at the top of a file?

We use ASCII files extensively, and they may contain data of different data (datums), projections, elevation units, and so on. I have been documenting these details by appending to the line of column headers (Example1). But this interferes with other programs that prefer to use "commented" lines for such details (Example2). So, I'd like to make our file structure more uniform.

I see a similar but inverted choice to identify lines with coordinate data, and I have used "Fields to skip at start of line", but am not seeing any option to identify comment lines to be skipped. It would be nice to be able to skip these records anywhere in the file, but most of our use would be satisfied by skipping comment lines only at the top of files.

Example1:
Easting,Northing,Elevation,Station,Line,Label,datum:NAD-83,proj:UTMz12North,elev:NED_10m

Example2:
//61m - 200 ft aspacing
//Station,Name,datum=NAD-83,proj:UTMz12North,elev:field
Station,Easting,Northing,Elevation

Thanks,
Mykle

Comments

• Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Hello Mykle, There is an option to select the number of rows to skip at the start of the file, this is found in the ASCII Text File Import Options on the lower left hand side of the dialog. This will help with the comments that are at the top of your files, so I have submitted an enhancement request to our development team to look into the comment identifier for the comments throughout your files. The request is #14203 if you want to follow up in the future. There should also be a comment posted when progress is made on the request.

Regards,
    Josie
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Josie,

Just when I think that I am getting good with GM, someone points out something obvious.

Global Mapper is certainly entertaining!

(yes, recognizing comment line delimiters will certainly be helpful)

Thanks,
    Mykle
  • Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Oh good, I am glad that I could help!

- Josie