Global Mapper v25.0

ESPG needs different feet as units

Ice Age Mark
Ice Age Mark Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Downloading Imagery
Hello,

I have tried every tweak I can find to get this WMS source to work:

http://gisportal.msl.mt.gov/arcgis/services/NRIS/Flathead_2009/MapServer/WMSServer

The problem seems (?) to be 1) A projection issue. It can only be set up (I think) as EPSG 2818, but that is in meters and the website for the source says it's in U.S. Survey Feet; and 2) for the Ortho-photos the format is MrSID, which is not an option setting it up. Automatic doesn't work either. I can't seem to find a WMS xml file on the website.

Regardless, no layers come in, but the screen turns black and the legend shows up. Trying to reproject the black layer sends it away somewhere, and this is what I often experience with projection issues. So it seems like it's downloading but not displaying.

Can I get it to work somehow?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Mark, The potential projection issue scenario that you outlined should not be a problem and Global Mapper has the ability to read MrSID files. I can test the source out for you. Do you have a data layer and a specific location that you would like me to test, where I would know for certain that data should be available from this resource.

Thanks,
    Josie
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Howdy,

This is a rather local dataset; it immediately surrounds Flathead Lake in western Montana (+/- 48N, 115W). Anywhere within a mile of the shoreline of this large lake should have data present for all layers. I would like to have all layers available, but I want the Color and IR Orthophotos, and the DEM's most. I can set that part up myself if it will just work at all.

I'm not sure how the projection issue could not be relevant because the dataset native projection is in feet, but the EPSG code read from it by GM is 2818 in meters. It seems like this should mean that it will not import properly (?).

Thanks again for checking it out.

Mark
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited July 2014
    Hi Mark,
    I just tried out that source in both Lat/Long and Montana state plane with Meters or USFeet. Are you starting out with other data on screen to get your location? If so, that first data will set your projection. And it's possible that that might cause an issue. WMS servers are capable of communicating in a few different projections and some limit what coordinate system can be used. However, I've managed to pull down the data in each of those systems so I don't know for sure where it's going wrong for you yet. I simply began as you suggested, with blank screen and requesting data within a mile of 48N, 115W. Could you outline the exact workflow you are going through to hit the black data screen?

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited July 2014
    Hello Sam,

This dataset doesn't extend to 48N/115W, that was just so you could find Flathead Lake (most people have never heard of it); so I'm not sure what you were downloading successfully.

"This is a rather local dataset; it immediately surrounds Flathead Lake in western Montana (+/- 48N, 115W). Anywhere within a mile of the shoreline of this large lake should have data present for all layers."

To answer your question: I'm using the server URL I sent already, choosing WMS, and all available layers show up. I choose a layer (e.g.) 2009 color orthophotos, EPSG 2818 for the projection, and automatic for the image type (Tried 4326, 2818, and 2818 modified to feet for units as projections/tried tif, png, and jpg for image type). After this set-up, I zoom to a small area where I know data is present and use the current screen view for the bounds. Everything is as though the image was present (metadata shows, legend shows, lat/long is right, raster options show up in the control center along with the layer name; but it's not visible. I've tried with and without previously loaded data. (In the past, this symptom has virtually always been a projection issue for me, so that's where I'm getting that idea from.)

A good Lat/long to test with would be, say, within .5 miles of 47-41-43/-114-04-37. I can't find anything to change that will make this work. Let me know if you can get 1 foot resolution 2009 color orthophotos (not NAIP) or 1m terrain at this location.

Thanks much again,

Mark
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    Hi Mark,
    The first data I connected to was apparently a link I already had copied to my clipboard for the nationwide NAIP imagery for something else I was testing, sorry for the confusion there. After correcting the link, I am able to use the Get List of Available Layers button to have it return all of the data types that the WMS server is hosting. But as you said, I can't find any combination of settings that will actually return data. I also downloaded the MrSID coverage for the project area to be sure i was within the area covered by the photos, and just like you described, I am only able to see the legend return without any actual data. I've gotten a number of errors back that the server can't be addressed (located) so I'm wondering if the service is up and fully running. Have you been able to connect to the service with any other tools? Or have you contacted the admin of the service?

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • Ice Age Mark
    edited August 2014
    Thanks very much Sam,

I'll contact the data server and see if there's a problem there. Still not understanding how different planer units in a projection can not have an effect though. The legend loads and GM "thinks" some raster data has been loaded because there is a layer for it and raster options for it show up in the control center. I get an error like that sometimes too, but mostly not.

Regards,

Mark