Global Mapper v25.0

GM12: Geocoding address fails

czietz
czietz Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
Hello,

today I tried the "Find address..." function in GlobalMapper 12.02 to get the coordinates of an address. However it seems to have stopped working. I get the following error:
---------------------------
Global Mapper
Error downloading file.
Download of http://local.yahooapis.com/MapsService/V1/geocode?appid=YD-2CW17vE_JX2RBTAil9vgRX2QkeerGBZPbc7_wMw-&location=Appelstrasse+9A,+Hannover failed with status code 503.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Error xmlns="urn:yahoo:api">
        The following errors were detected:
        <Message>backend fetch error 404</Message>
</Error>
<!-- ydn2.ls.ac4.yahoo.com uncompressed/chunked Mon Aug 26 20:12:14 UTC 2013 -->

WebUtils.cpp - 636
Version: v12.02
Build Time: Mar 20 2012 23:00:46
Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
OK   

Any chance there's a fix for it, even though I'm not using the current version of GlobalMapper?

Christian

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2013
    Christian,

We used the Yahoo GeoCoder up until v14.1, at which time Yahoo shut down their free service for good. The latest versions use Google Maps or Bing Maps, but you would have to upgrade to v14 as those address servers weren't supported in the older versions.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Hello Mike,
    Can you please tell me if you still use Google and Bing Maps for the GeoCoder in v15.1?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2014
    Robert,

Yes, v15.1 will try the Google geocoder first, the fall back to Bing and finally Mapquest if the others fail. So almost always you will get Google.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the info.
    Is it possible to integrate this in the Scripting environment?
    Run the script, specify the file for which the "Find Address" should run, with a few export options ( convert to shape, all, only those with a specified precision and so on)?

Sorry if this exists already. I searched but I couldn't find it.
  • Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited January 2014
    Hi Robert,

I have created an Enhancement Request (#12968) to add an address search command, with search file specification and export option parameters to Global Mapper scripting.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • RobertR
    edited January 2014
    Thank you Jasmine,
  • RobertR
    edited July 2014
    Hello,

Any news on the Enhancement Request (#12968) ?

I am also wondering if the geocoder has any limits in its use? I am thinking at a limit of addresses to geocode/day or something like this.
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Mike,

You may want to look at OpenCage Geocoder
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    Hello RobertR,
    Unfortunately, 12968 hasn't made it onto a near term schedule yet. I'll see what we can do to work that into one of our minor releases this year. I believe the limit on the primary geocoding service is still 50,000 points per day.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • RobertR
    edited August 2014
    Hello Sam,
    Thank you for the heads up. Isn't 50,000 points per day way too much? From what I knew, the Google Geocoding API limits the usage to 2,400 / hour for the free API. It would be interesting to know how this works in GlobalMapper as I know it falls also on Bing and Mapquest.
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    Hi Robert,
    I stand corrected, you are quite right. Google actually limits at 2500 per day, it's Bing that goes to 50,000. We automatically switch services, so if you are going past 2500, the results would swap to Bing part way through the batch for the rest, and then MapQuest if Bing stops responding.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • RobertR
    edited August 2014
    Sam,
    I meant to say 2,500 per day, it was a typo. Thank you for the correction :)
    I think that what you said regarding the "switch when going past 2,500" is a very important aspect. It might explain why some of my points were placed in a strange position although Google Maps had an accurate location for the address. They might have fallen to other GeoCoding services.

Best wishes,
  • Nirmalya Maitra
    Nirmalya Maitra Global Mapper User
    I can't find any address information in search button also Geocoding...in GM 20 v os windows 8.when searching 
    "Unhandles exception. Exception processing dialog <search for an Address (Requires Internet Access> command massage 1 with code 0" prompt appear. please help..
  • Nirmalya Maitra
    Nirmalya Maitra Global Mapper User
    I can't find any address information in search button also Geocoding...in GM 20 v os windows 8.when searching 
    "Unhandles exception. Exception processing dialog <search for an Address (Requires Internet Access> command massage 1 with code 0" prompt appear. please help..

• RobertR
    Hi Nirmalya,
    I have not worked on this for the past many years and I am sure things changed quite a lot.
    Unfortunately I can't help as currently I don't have GM installed on my Mac and I don't even have the newer versions of the software.

Hopefully the GM folks can help out.