Global Mapper v25.0

PDF Export Hangs

RSVector
RSVector Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2014 in Technical Support
I am trying to Export to PDF format with Online Data (World Street Map) used as the background. I have my own vector overlay layer as well, which exports fine by itself. It gets to 97% complete then hangs.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2014
    The last step is actually writing out the PDF, and that is inside the PDF library so we can't show progress. If you let it sit for a while does it work? Or if you try a lower DPI or smaller paper size (those determine the level of detail pulled from the online source).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Suggest exporting your online layer to a georeferenced raster file. "Tune" the export resolution until the results are satisfactory for your project.

If you leave the resolution at the default, it is likely to create a large file, requiring a lot of time, and the details will be too fine to be useful. I will frequently export at two or three resolutions, and select the one that is best for my final project coverage.

Load your raster file and unload or turn off the online layer. You will be able to pan and zoom in and out more quickly and easily without the online layer needing to reload.

Then your PDF export will be more straightforward.

Regards,
    Mykle
  • RSVector
    RSVector Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, if I change the DPI off of "Automatic" to a lower resolution it completes. Thanks.
  • RSVector
    edited July 2014
    Mykle,

Can you provide the steps you use to import, tune and save a particular area of online data. I am interested in applying this technique for the entire northeast or at a minimum state by state. I need a resolution of about 1:750.
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2014
    Raster images are not a good choice to cover a range of scales from 1:750 (identifying the make of cars on aerial photos) to 1:3,000,000 (covering New York to Maine).

The "Export to Web" options provide for creating a collection of tiles at a range of zoom levels. If you have a program that can display these files, then you can zoom in and out as needed to cover small and large areas. However, PDF does not provide that capability (as far as I know). OruxMaps (Android application) can display these files without need for internet access, as one example.

Open Street Maps contain vector data, however I don't know of any applications that can store the raw vector data off-line for use without the internet (other than GPS Receivers with their proprietary data). As far as I know, Global Mapper will create a raster image from this data, and you can export raster files. That locks you in to a small range of magnification.

I do create (with Global Mapper) web-format files containing topo maps that allow for zooming in and out, and vector files can be displayed on topo of them (GPX or KMZ files). But this is not in Acrobat format.

For your range of scales, my suggestion will not be appropriate.

Regards,
    Mykle
  • RSVector
    edited July 2014
    Thanks Mykle for the clarification.