Global Mapper v25.0

increasing PC processing allocation to GM

imagecatcher
imagecatcher Global Mapper User
edited September 2014 in Technical Support
Hi there,
Is it possible to allocate more CPU/RAM resources to GM?
Often says Not Responding but the manager says CPU is working and eventually performs the action.
Many of my actions are taking far too long yet the task manager say GM is only using 15% on average. (no other apps running)
i7 4770k CPU
32Gb RAM
2x500Gb SSD in raid
GeForce 770 GTX Graphics card w 4Gb ram
Liquid cooled

... is the raid slowing it down?
Thanks
Troy

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Hi Troy,

It's almost certainly not the RAID. The question is: what operations are you performing? It's likely that whatever it is, isn't multi-threaded. Some operations can be sped up quite a bit by making them multi-threaded and that may be true for whatever it is you're doing. I know that Mike has spent some time updating algorithms than can benefit from this technique and your use case might be another good candidate.

best regards,

Jeff
    Global Mapper Developer
  • imagecatcher
    imagecatcher Global Mapper User
    edited June 2014
    Hi Jeff,
    You know I think you have hit the nail on the head with the lack of hyperthreading...makes sense. So if Mike could chime in on how to improve that I'm listening.
    The tasks that are slow are even basic ones. toggling on of the generated contours, opening the add/update attributes. deleting attributes, rendering the las file and dem layers.
    Thanks Jeff
    Troy
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Troy,

Jeff is correct that most tasks in Global Mapper are not multi-threaded, so they will only use one processor core. The one primary exception is most Lidar processing. Most Lidar processes will make use of multiple cores if available. Lidar draw is one that is typically very fast, even for huge clouds. What version of GM are you using?

We are planning to update many tasks to be multi-threaded in the near future, including view shed calculation, gridding via TINs, and contour generation. Where is the add/update attributes dialog that is opening slowly for you? That is not something I would expect to be slow.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Logsmith
    Logsmith Logsmith Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    I work with very large vector data sets and have a similar experience to Troy's, so I'm very happy to hear that more multi-treading is in the works.

Also, it would be great if there was (is?) someway to pause a graphics redraw of the map window would be very useful.

And, an option to open the "Search by attribute, name and description" dialog without immediately starting a search.
    The user could open the dialog, set it up accordingly, and then initialize the search.

Regards
    Logsmith
  • Ice Age Mark
    Ice Age Mark Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    "...an option to open the "Search by attribute, name and description" dialog without immediately starting a search.
    The user could open the dialog, set it up accordingly, and then initialize the search."

This seems like a good idea!
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    I've added a todo item (#13862) to multi-thread the vector search and also allow canceling at any time. This will likely be in the v16 release and make searching much faster on most systems.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Logsmith
    Logsmith Logsmith Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Mike:

That sounds great.
    Thanks
    Logsmith
  • DanHG
    DanHG Global Mapper User
    edited September 2014
    I'm having what sounds like very similar issues. I have an i5-3320 2.6 GHz and 16 GB of ram. Just simply panning around at 1:5000 in a 500 MB DEM (a GMP file produced from a geoTIFF) produces redraws that take 10-15 seconds each. My coworker has a slightly newer but very similar computer (both Dell Latitude M4700 laptops) and using the same file his redraws are nearly instant. Process monitor is showing 15-20% processor usage and significant underclocking. In fact half my cores stay parked if I'm not using any other software. I notice from a 3rd party process monitor that GM is not using the GPU at all in 2D mode.

I've tried using a smaller DEM as well, files as small as 10 MB. Same performance results at similar zoom levels.

All files are on the local HD, but work just as well (or poorly?) from the network.

Help??