Global Mapper v25.0

PDF Export

JamesRutter
JamesRutter Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2014 in Technical Support
I'm trying to export a PDF file from GM which contains an Ordnance Survey Mastermap gml layer, and 3 other layers (loaded as shapefiles).

GM produces a superb and compact PDF file, with just one issue. When I open in Illustrator, I just get one layer which, when expanded contains thousands of paths for each element in Mastermap plus each of my 3 other boundaries contained in the shapefiles.

It doesn't make any difference in the PDF export dialogue in GM whether I specify 'Use Feature Type/Description as Layer Name' or 'Use Source File Description as Layer Name', I still just get one layer when I open the PDF in Illustrator. Ideally I want to get 4 layers in Illustrator, one for the Mastermap layer (which presumably then could be subdivided into all the individual paths) and an additional 3 layers for my boundary files. In other words I want the layers in Illustrator to reflect the layers in GM, so it makes it simpler to select features and do the cartographic tinkering I need to do in Illustrator.

Any ideas?

Thanks
James

Comments

• polkart
    polkart Global Mapper User
    edited April 2014
    Hi James

It's a problem of Illustrator, not GM.
    Adobe Community: Layered pdf opened in illustrator

Regards

Michael Siwicki
  • JamesRutter
    JamesRutter Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2014
    Ah, thanks Michael. I just opened the PDF in Bluebeam's Revu software and the layers are fine there.

Bummer that Illustrator doesn't support PDF layers (or it seems they are completely different concepts!)

I was hoping to move away from Avenza Map publisher which is hugely expensive and the only thing I actually use it for is because it does recognise PDF layers.

Cheers

James
  • polkart
    edited April 2014
    Hi,

You welcome.
    By the way, which version of Bluebeam's Revu is the best for work with GM's pdf files: standard, cad or extreme.

Regards

Michael Siwicki
  • JamesRutter
    edited April 2014
    Not sure as I bought the standard edition. Stunning piece of software. It's a bit like GM...I keep finding more stuff I can do with it! Definitely the best PDF I've used. The iPad version is superb too. Both bits of software highly recommended.
  • JamesRutter
    edited April 2014
    I also just realised that CorelDraw DOES support and preserve PDF layers!! Maybe I'll have to ditch Illustrator!
  • JamesRutter
    edited April 2014
    If you open up the GM pdf in CorelDraw, you can export from there as an Illustrator AI file. When you open this in Illustrator, layers are preserved as Illustrator layers.
  • polkart
    edited April 2014
    Hi James,

Very interesting. I use CorelDraw non-stop, but old versions, I don't like new ones.

Is it preserved georeference too?

Regards

Michael Siwicki
  • JamesRutter
    edited April 2014
    Just done a few tests. Georeferencing per say isn't preserved as CorelDraw won't know anything about the spatial bit.

However, if you re-export another map from GM (say you changed a few features or added a new dataset), so long as you re-use the PDF export settings (eg same papersize etc) and you use the same export boundary (eg a selected polygon), you can open the new map into CorelDraw and copy and paste features into the original PDF just great...they all drop into the correct place.

So...as long as you enforce a couple of good working practices you could get a neat workflow with GM pdf's and preserved map layers in CorelDraw with the ability to add further layers etc provided you make a note of your export settings in GM!

Cheers

James
  • polkart
    edited April 2014
    No georefernce it's a main problem of CorelDraw.

Thanks for your remarks

Regards

Michale Siwicki