Global Mapper v25.0

GM15: Bug on importing DXF files

TobWen
TobWen Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2014 in Bug Report
When importing a DXF file, which contains splines, GM15 creats something... different.
Try this example (a circle with 4 control points): dxf_splines.zip

It's a valid DXF file and can be imported by other applications (CorelDraw, Illustrator etc.).

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited February 2014
    Hi TobWen,

When I import the .dxf I get a circle shape, what are you seeing. I have Global Mapper v15.1 installed. Can you please download and install the latest release version and re-import the .dxf file and let me know if you are seeing the results expected?

Global Mapper v15.1:Global Mapper

Regards,

Jasmine
  • TobWen
    TobWen Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    I am using latest beta version and I'm seeing this:
    gm15_no-circle.png

Don't tell me, this is a circle shape :p
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    That's definitely not right :) I have added a bug (#13155) for the DXF spline handling, there must be something wrong in the code that converts a DXF spline into the points around it. I will look at the sample and try and determine what is going on. It's hard to tell sometimes the proper way to get points as the DXF documentation can be a bit nebulous.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    Mike and TobWen,

A few data points that may be relevant (or not):

There are four control points, one at the middle of each "flat" section.

When I create a circle in Illustrator, the "flat" sections are oriented vertical and horizontal.

Exporting the circle and importing as DXF into Global Mapper results in a similar shape, just rotated 45 degrees.

Exporting the circle and importing as DWG results in a circle as intended.

Hmmm.
    Mykle
  • TobWen
    edited February 2014
    Mykle wrote: »
    Exporting the circle and importing as DWG results in a circle as intended.

Thanks for your answer. Perhaps I can find a free/OSS DXF-2-DWG converter.
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2014
    I've fixed the spline import from DXF so you now get a circle for that file. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • TobWen
    edited February 2014
    Tested, working.

Same question as in OCAD-thread: Is there a way to increase the number of vertices when converting the curves to lines?
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2014
    Currently the number of points used to create line features from spline curves is the same number that GDAL uses when creating spline curves from DXF files. We can certainly increase this easily, but it would of course make the files require more memory, so there is a balance. Are you missing significant shape details?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • TobWen
    edited February 2014
    Currently the number of points used to create line features from spline curves is the same number that GDAL uses when creating spline curves from DXF files. We can certainly increase this easily, but it would of course make the files require more memory, so there is a balance.

I don't care about memory, couldn't you make it a registry switch so only advanced users might access it?
    Are you missing significant shape details?

No, but I've written a script in Python, which recreates splines from polyline objects, which have been created from splines. So I need as many information are possible to make it similar to the original version. Bad work-around, I know. But many formats, like shapefile or even GM15 itself, can't work with splines, ESRI File Geodatabases and DXF can.

I can't test it, since I can't export from my GM15 demo :(
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2014
    I have added support for adding a DWORD value named 'SplineCurveMult' in 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalMapper' to specify the number to multiple the control point count by to get the stroked vertex count. The default is 8, so you might try 32 or something else to get as much detail as you need. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
  • TobWen
    edited February 2014
    Thanks, I'll test it in the next days. One of my friends will provide me a bunch of DXF and DWG files for testing.
  • TobWen
    edited March 2014
    Sorry for the delay, here are the promised files: dwg_dxf_testfiles.zip
    R12 ASCII.dxf
    R12 binary.dxf <-- non working
    R12.dwg

R13 ASCII.dxf
    R13 binary.dxf
    R13.dwg

R14 ASCII.dxf
    R14 binary.dxf
    R14.dwg

R2000-2002 ASCII.dxf
    R2000-2002 binary.dxf
    R2000-2002.dwg

R2004-2006 ASCII.dxf
    R2004-2006 binary.dxf
    R2004-2006.dwg

R2007-2009 ASCII.dxf
    R2007-2009 binary.dxf
    R2007-2009.dwg

R2010 ASCII.dxf
    R2010 binary.dxf
    R2010.dwg

R2013 ASCII.dxf
    R2013 binary.dxf <-- non working
    R2013.dwg

Only R2013 binary.dxf and R12 binary.dxf are non working.
  • TobWen
    edited March 2014
    Warning: Forget the previous post... I've found several bugs. Let me create new files please...
  • TobWen
    edited March 2014
    I've updated the files with curves, I've created simple forms in the first example only, that wasn't enough.

Updated file: dwg_dxf_testfiles_updated.zip

correct (working as expected)
    R12 ASCII.dxf
    R13.dwg
    R14.dwg
    R2000-2002.dwg
    R2004-2006.dwg
    R2007-2009.dwg
    R2010.dwg

incorrect (many parts are missing)
    R13 ASCII.dxf
    R14 ASCII.dxf
    R2000-2002 ASCII.dxf
    R2004-2006 ASCII.dxf
    R2007-2009 ASCII.dxf
    R2010 ASCII.dxf
    R2013 ASCII.dxf

non working (not loading at all)
    R12 binary.dxf
    R12.dwg
    R13 binary.dxf
    R14 binary.dxf
    R2000-2002 binary.dxf
    R2004-2006 binary.dxf
    R2007-2009 binary.dxf
    R2010 binary.dxf
    R2013 binary.dxf

• global_mapper
    edited March 2014
    I was able to get the binary DXF files loading. We are still working on the SPLINE curves as apparently what we did before doesn't work correctly on these. I think the 3rd-party library code I used to base the spline support on also isn't right, so we may need to just roll our own. I have improved it a little, but it's not right yet. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

The DWG file still fails. The library that we (and just about everyone else outside of Autodesk) uses for DWG files crashes immediately trying to load it. We have to pass the file on to them so that they can fix it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited March 2014
    AutoCAD tells me that R12.dwg has a problem with a Viewport definition, but it fixed the file for me. I have attached the fixed file to this post.

R12_fixed.zip

I also got some information about how we can modify Global Mapper to better handle this situation, so I will give that a try when I get a chance.

Cheers,

Bob
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2014
    We have a new build which should load the splines and ellipses from the DXF/DWG files. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru