Global Mapper v25.0

what will be GM in the future?

energy
energy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2014 in Announcement and News
Hi
What will be GM in the future? which one sector will GM head? traditional GIS,urban city,mining,geology...?

GM has developed itself so much, as geology engineers we left some known GIS software or use the rarely. We suggest things always , may be some are not as urgent, I think suggestions contribute for improving,GM have a lot of superior,practical features according to other GIS software .However , sometimes I feel the lack of GM,
unfortunately, we need to use another gıs software. I suggested before...
1-dynamic(movable,enlared,shrinked) adding text,picture... ,north arrow,scale,legend... like arcmap(insert) or surfer(adding text or picture)
2-Graphs from data

I hope to see them at next GM:)

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    Global Mapper will continue to move ahead in all sectors as we aren't targeting just a single market. Of course that means we won't necessarily move ahead rapidly in one particular sector as we simply don't have anywhere near the resources to develop everything at once. But be assured we are incrementally moving forward in many sectors at once as we make several enhancements every single day.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    I appreciate always ,you wonderful make good job of GM or we got used to your perfectly working:)also thank you for effort,especially forum page. may be many of our requests are not necesarry, in a ten minutes can decrease in a one minute.However when GM new version come out when we did not see the basic skills(according to us), we are disappointed, such as above, I have 2000 boreholes, adding log section as picture on the left and adding text on the right (changing them size or move)for every one borehole OR preparing graphics(pie,bar..) take a long time to us in current GM ....
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    Hello,
    I felt I can add a few ideas too. An absolutely big "plus" for GM is that some things that are not available are added (mostly) in a couple of days after the request is made. So, as others have said, the forum is a very strong asset that will make me acquire each new version of GM.

For the future, another very important thing for the GM developers to push forward, would be the GM Scripting environment. One interesting thing at the FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham Conference was a question asked at at keynote speech: "How many here are cartographers / programmers / developers?". Well, I think 80% of the ones there were in the last 2 categories. I currently manage my work quite well with the options available in GMScripting but I have a few .gms files that end with calling a python script to do further processing on the values in the .dbf (case change, replace the first "n" occurrences of a string with another one, replace the last character with something and so on). I think that .gms with python support would be huge.

The second thing I have in mind for a while now is the release of the GlobalMapper software for Linux users. The option of calling the linux console from "RUN_COMMAND COMMAND_LINE=" would implicitly add a ton of options.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    Robert,

We do have a todo item to incorporate existing scripting languages with more capabilities, like Python, into the Global Mapper scripting language. We also have plans to make an easier to use "script builder" to help those that aren't as inclined towards programming/scripting to build scripts. You could easily select commands and then select from the relevant parameters for that command to build a script.

You can run Global Mapper on Linux under a WINE emulation environment, but there aren't currently any plans to create a native Linux version as the development cost to port would be so high that it is unlikely we would ever be able to make back the investment required in additional sales.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    Mike,

of course we should not wait to do everything from GM, it can be wrong, so that it need additional sales, however some capabilities have to do in GM, forexample , I suggested another grid creation methods except from triangulation, but in fact I can create in surfer and import to GM, but what I said above(graphic and insert flexible text,images..), if I do with GM , I need to GM capabilities
    Thanks..