Global Mapper v25.0

vector features and path profile

energy
energy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Hi
I'd like to create path profile from dem passing on the borehole(point features) for geological cross section,also I want to see borehole points on the 3d path profie(small yellow points) however because the section lines are vertical(N-S) ,the lines dont pass on the borehole points excatly, so I moved the points on lines(using "move nearest to line") , I want to create new vertices on the line(belonging the line) at the points(moved), I think I can that using "insert new vertex.." but one by one is so long way(ther are 25 lines they have 4-8 points each).

I have tried to solve the problem, first I used "connect selected points to selected lines with new lines" then I selected all features(new lines and main lines) right click "insert vertices and/or split..." I have created new vertices on the lines. but that is a bit complex. after moving points on the line ,is the any short way create new vertices on the line at the points(moved)??

I'd have one question, I created the line from point to point, how can ı get angle values the lines with north
image.jpg

Comments

• DMcKittrick
    DMcKittrick Global Mapper Trainer Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Follow these steps:

1. Using the Digitizer tool, select both the line and the points (you do not need to move the points to the line)
    2. Right-click anywhere on the map and choose Advanced Feature Creation Options > Connect Selected Points to Selected Lines with New Lines
    3. Using the Digitizer tool, select the original line and the new lines
    4. Right-click anywhere on the map and choose Crop/Combine/Split Functions > Insert Vertices and/or Split at Intersections of Selected Features
    5. In the Insert and Split Options dialog box, choose Insert Vertices at Intersections Only from the dropdown list
    6. Delete the connecting lines

In regard to the bearings between line segments, use the Feature Info Tool to select the line, click the Vertices... button and the Heading column shows the bearings.
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks
    I did you said:) it should be a short way, after moving the points to the line ,they can be a vertices at the same time belonging the line.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2014
    So if I understand correctly what would work best is a new prompt for the existing 'Move Selected Points to Nearest Line' option to actually insert new vertices in the lines where the points would snap to rather than actually moving the points. Or perhaps a new option in the path profile to show point features that are near the path (similar to the Lidar path profile)?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    I send a image mike for explaining better, I moved the points on the line(figure 2) but if I do like that I dont see points in the path profile (right click the line/path profile) I want to create vertices in the line(figure 3-blue points) , so I can see points in the path profile, I have alot of line and points,how can I create vertices where are at moved points in the line ,praticallyimage.jpg
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2014
    I have now added a prompt when moving the points to the lines so you can also automatically insert vertices in the lines where the points end up. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Mike , by the way, I tried to add attributes from point to point but it doesnt works? I see from line instead of point, I'd like to add attributes from point to point(new vertices)?
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    in addition to last post, after creating points from vertices, I want to add the attributes of moved points to new points created from vertices
  • DMcKittrick
    DMcKittrick Global Mapper Trainer Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    The new vertices that are placed along the line are not individual point features and therefore they do not contain their own unique attributes. Attributes are associated with the entire line feature, the vertices are merely the x/y/z locations that determine the geometric shape of the line.
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    You are right but already I create new points from line features except that vertices, I mean above, I'd like to add/copy attributes to new points generated from the line features
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2014
    When you create point features from a selected line the new point features should get the attributes of the line it was created from, as well as a VTX_NUM attribute indicating which vertex of the original line the point was created from.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    Ok I see,I dont look at this point, Mike in fact what I do is so simply, I have grd file of top of coal,and topographic tingrid file, top of coal elevation is one of point(borehole) attributes, firstly I formed a line,and then move the points on the line,also they are vertices,add the point attributes to line(VTX) like elevation of top of coal ,finally right click/path profile... I'd like to create path profile both topographic elevation section(profile) and top of coal section
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2014
    It sounds like you want to show 2 surfaces in the path profile dialog? That was actually just added in v15.1! If you have your profile over multiple surfaces there is a new option under the Display Options menu on the path profile dialog to display a separate line for the profile path from each surface. You can right-click on the profile display if you want to change the default color assigned for drawing each layer profile line.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • energy
    edited January 2014
    wonderfull Mike, that is good improvement, also right click on the profile/create point features....I wish that can be exported with spesific scale(1/1000,1/25000...) like geotiff