Global Mapper v25.0

NAIP Imagery - licensing

Michael_GR
Michael_GR Global Mapper User
edited December 2013 in Downloading Imagery
I'm asking even though I believe I know the answer, but just to be extra safe, can I use NAIP 1-meter imagery to create commercial derivative work? (specifically, a 3D terrain database). Are there any licensing issues I need to be aware of such as adding attribution?
Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    I believe it's freely usable as a US government product, but you can always see Terms of Service for an online layer by right-clicking on the layer in the online download dialog and selecting the option to shows the Terms of Service/Web Page. This is available in v14.2 and v15.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    I think I've asked the same question back in the days regarding NAIP. It's somehow tricky. It is very hard to know which dataset is forwarded through that address in Global Mapper. If you check their documentation,on the website, there can be several years for which they obtained data (for eg: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012) for a specific area (county). I suppose it is the most recent year for which the data is provided.

I did not managed to find out how to know for sure, and how to get the 2005 and 2012 data for a county. As far as I read, the data can be used for free.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2013
    Robert,

The NAIP server comes from the USGS and just provides the latest imagery that they have in their database for a given area I believe. I don't think there's a way to get the older imagery through a streaming web interface, you would have to go to their web site and do a more manual query for a particular year of imagery, or it might even have to go through a state USDA site.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper