Global Mapper v25.0

Help required GEM 14.2 editng DTM / DEM and how to construct buildings

Chris_
Chris_ Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2014 in Elevation Data
I have a small area of OS DTM data of a sloped area of housing. Created pads from areas but they don't merge. The generated contours don't form an elevation base to work from -- guess that means adding elevation attribute? Will that work then?

Would like to be able to make sloping pads -- eg editing the vertices with new elevation data to change the area's orientation and elevation.

Created elevation grid from DTM. Can I add new points and give them elevation values to correct the existing landform and add much more detail? How do I make it into a new DTM / DEM? Is this the way to edit a DTM / DEM?

How do I created buildings in GEM / GM?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2013
    You can right-click on an existing grid layer in the Control Center and select to create points from the grid cell centers. This will create a 3D point cloud. You can then edit or delete points to get the elevation you want, then right-click on the point layer in the Control Center and select to create an elevation grid to grid the editing point cloud into a new grid layer. That is the easiest way to edit terrain surfaces.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Chris_
    Chris_ Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Mike -- I was nearly there.
    What about buildings?
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    You can create buildings as 3D area features. So create the area and edit the vertices to add per-vertex elevations to define the desired 3D shape. Note this can be a bit laborious when drawing the sides of the buildings since in the 2D view where you can edit the vertices sides just look like lines. In the future we plan to add 3D editing tools, but for now it's easiest to do any 3D design work in a 3D editing application, then load those into Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Chris_
    edited November 2013
    Again many thanks.
    Hows the line style editor going?
  • Chris_
    edited November 2013
    I'm having trouble creating a vertical wall between 2 levels by editing (adding) elevation points.

Is it possible to merge pads?
    How can it be done?
    Can the elevation data from each pad insertion be added to the elevation grid already created?

I would like to be able to create an area feature; pad it; and then edit the elevation levels to alter the angle of the pad.

Similarly, would it be possible to draw the centre line of a road -- give it elevation data -- give the design width (eg 5.5m) and then 'pad it' so that a constant road surface follows the elevation data and provides the cuts and fills? Could be useful for highway engineers planning roads through terrain.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2013
    If you select multiple area features at the start of a pad-site flatten operation (is that what you are doing?) then all of those should be considered when modifying the terrain for the flatten criteria. For roads, create a buffer area around the road center lines and then use that as one of the selected areas for the selected pad-site flatten tool. If you original selected areas are 3D areas with different elevations at each vertex that should be taken into account so you get a slanted pad.

For your earlier post about the line-style edit tool, I thought sure I responded but don't see it. In any case the latest builds at Global Mapper Downloads contain support for providing a background line (solid of any color and width) behind any line style. It's not a full line-style editor, but it is at least one more thing you can now do with line styles.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Chris_
    edited April 2014
    [QUOTE=
    For your earlier post about the line-style edit tool, I thought sure I responded but don't see it. In any case the latest builds at Global Mapper Downloads contain support for providing a background line (solid of any color and width) behind any line style. It's not a full line-style editor, but it is at least one more thing you can now do with line styles.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that reply. I have only just found out, because I was unaware that I hadn't changed my e-mail in the Forum Profile. Could you please post a visual example for me?

Also when do think the full editor will be ready? I ask because I'm not keen to up-grade until a version of GEM with full editor is available. Also-- hopefully -- with ability to create hexagonal grids.
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2014
    When you set up a line style it now looks like the following (note the Background Line option):

line_style.png

The map with that looks something like:

screenshot.png

The full-blown editor for line styles is likely still a ways off. It's just one of several hundred things on the todo list right now.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • Chris_
    edited April 2014
    Many thanks Mike.
    That was helpful.

Would it be possible for me to have this feature as an addon to 14.x GEM????
  • Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited April 2014
    Hi Chris,

The enhancement for a full line style editor would be applied to the current version of Global Mapper at the time of the feature's implementation. If you would like to contact Blue Marble Application support at geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com we can add your contact information (email) to the feature request and contact you upon implementation.

Regards,

Jasmine