Global Mapper v25.0

georeferenced image coordinate boundaries

John N
John N Global Mapper User
I have been using GM12 to georeference vertical sections (as opposed to plan maps) and generate geotiffs therefrom. The purpose of this is to "hang" these sections in 3-D space in Rockworks. The utility Rockworks uses requires the real world coordinates of the corners of the geotiff image. I thought I was getting this information by clicking on the VIEW tab and selecting "PROPERTIES". This generated coordinates that could be exported to the clipboard, which I did.

After compiling these cross-sections, I found that they appeared stretched vertically, and data that I superimposed on them supported this observation. At first I thought it had to do with the Projections setting, assuming that GM could only handle plan maps. This did not seem to be an issue except the image in GM was noted as being out of bounds and produced a bar scale that was many times larger than reality. I subsequently found that by using the Orthographic projection, this problem was solved, however, I was still getting stretched geotiffs.

Further investigations revealed that the coordinates generated with the VIEW and PROPERTIES routine, mentioned above, yielded the coordinates of the interior of the screen and not of the image file...Huh?? I am struggling to figure out what the purpose in that is, but there may be a reasonable explanation.

Nonetheless, I would like to know if there is a routine in GM whereby I can get the coordinate information of the georeferenced image. I have been working around this by importing the geotiff file into my CADD program and determining the image boundaries that way, but this is an extra step I would like to avoid.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2013
    The View->Properties is indeed the coordinates of the view window, which could contain part or all of any number of images. To get the bounds of a particular layer, select it in the Control Center and press Metadata. You should then see the coordinates for that particular layer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • John N
    edited October 2013
    Thanks Mike,that did the trick,

Incidentally, I was looking at your splash screen on the home page, etc. What I see on the box is "Global Maper 15". Is that correct? And the fourth bullet says, "....suported file formats" and the fifth bullet down says, "wold class support." Graphics being out-sourced, perchance?

Regards
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2013
    Ha I have no idea where that graphic comes from, it is part of the globalmapperforum.com site which is run by a 3rd-party. I'll forward this to the admin so he knows that the text on the starting graphic is wrong.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • John N
    edited October 2013
    and along the side of the box too it says "Maper"
  • PaulTocknell
    PaulTocknell Forum Administrator Unconfirmed
    edited October 2013
    John,

I wish I could say that I just fired my graphic designer, that I gave an absolute earful to the guy who did those graphics but that would be a lie because the truth is, I did those banners myself and I completely screwed those up. I really appreciate you pointing that out so I can fix them. I am really embarrassed. I think I have most of the banners / box shots fixed. Please let me know if you see any more blatant spelling / grammar errors.

Paul
  • John N
    edited October 2013
    Paul,

not a problem.

Cheers
  • kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2013
    John,

I wish I could say that I just fired my graphic designer, that I gave an absolute earful to the guy who did those graphics but that would be a lie because the truth is, I did those banners myself and I completely screwed those up. I really appreciate you pointing that out so I can fix them. I am really embarrassed. I think I have most of the banners / box shots fixed. Please let me know if you see any more blatant spelling / grammar errors.

Paul

@ John - Good eye and even better delivery of the painful truth how all of us failed to notice it ;)

@ Paul - Your stock suffered no loss from the event; only took a turn up with your swift remediation. As always, we reap the dividends; thank you for your work around this place.

Kelly
  • John N
    edited October 2013
    Kelly/Paul,

Not a problem. Comes from years of writing technical reports for the stock exchange. I also know that an author is usually one's own worst editor.

Regards
  • imagecatcher
    imagecatcher Global Mapper User
    The View->Properties is indeed the coordinates of the view window, which could contain part or all of any number of images. To get the bounds of a particular layer, select it in the Control Center and press Metadata. You should then see the coordinates for that particular layer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    I have a LAZ file being incorrectly placed so I followed this advice to check the Metadata. Sure enough half the corner lat & lons are 'near' zero. This puts the data 10,000km away from the other data generated by pix4d (at the same time).
    Two Qs: 
    What causes it? I sent the data file to a mate on 18.2 and no problems (Im on 19.1)
    How do I fix it?

Thanks
    Troy
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

I suggest that you first download the latest release of Global Mapper 19.1. Afterwards, if you are still having this problem, please contact Blue Marble Support directly via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com). Please include a detailed description, and the LAZ file that is causing the problem. That will help the support team determine the cause of the problem.

Cheers,
    Bob