Global Mapper v25.0

Create Area from broken contour lines

frank@marshall.ms
frank@marshall.ms Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited September 2013 in Vector Data
Mike,
I've attached test.gmp. I would like to create an area covering the contours from layer shallow up through 3690 plus 3700. Unfortunately the contours are pretty broken up. Is there a way to do this with GM, without manually tracing out each contour to create connections? The full map is huge, and the task would be endless by hand.
Thanks,
Frank
Test.gmp 438.1K

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2013
    Frank,

What I would do is grid the contours (Analysis menu command to create grid), then go to the Alter Elevations tab of the Options dialog for the grid and clamp the valid range to what you want, then right-click on the grid layer and select to create a coverage polygon. That should give you an area covering just the valid data in that range.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • frank@marshall.ms
    frank@marshall.ms Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Mike,
    Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I don't follow your suggestion. I select the analysis tab, getting 5 choices. Only the first one "Create elevation grid from 3D vector data..." will accept my selection. Other than the 3D, I think that's the one you wanted me to select. I don't see an "Alter Elevations tab" in the "Grid Options". There is "Select layers containing 3D vector data..." before I get to the "Grid Options" tab, from those I select 3580 thru 3700. Next on the "Grid Options" I uncheck "Use 3D lines & Flatten 3D areas". If I don't the program crashes. With this I get;

Unable to grid 3D points from selected overlays.TriangulatedSurface.cpp - 576
    Version: v14.2.0 (32-bit)
    Build Time: May 22 2013 00:48:10
  • frank@marshall.ms
    edited September 2013
    I found the problem. I think my processor is to old. I found this excerpt on the internet: Normally, "Illegal Instruction" will occur if you run code compiled optimized for newer processors on older processors. With that I tried my portable and got GM gridding to work. May have to upgrade my 10+ year old computer.
    Frank
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Frank,

I suppose it's possible if the processor is extremely old that the triangulation library is using some instructions that aren't available and crashing. What processor do you have? I've never seen this happen, at least not on a computer that at least supports Windows XP.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • frank@marshall.ms
    edited September 2013
    Hi Mike,
    I have a 2000 AMD Athlon Socket A 1333 MHz. I've update the BIOS, and I'm don't they've supported anymore updates. It may be time, but as an old guy, I'm tired of updating to the "new and better".
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Oh wow that is ancient! It was probably designed 15 years ago! All of your crashes have come in functions that use one particular 3rd-party library. I'm guessing it targets newer processors so whenever you call it you are getting an instruction your processor can't handle.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru