Global Mapper Pro Coming Soon

Correction of elevation

scrscr Global Mapper UserPosts: 42Trusted User
edited September 2013 in Elevation Data
Hi there

I wonder if there is a smart way to change every elevation existing in all loaded layers.

I started with an import of points and created lots of layers; triangulated elevation grid, contours, and lots of lines/areas with the digitizer tool.

Unfortunatly all imported points are 0.18 cm to low in Elevation.

Any hint?

Thanks Rainer

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited September 2013
    Rainer,

To change the elevation of areas, lines, and points, export to a Simple ASCII Text file and on the Point Offset/Scale tab specify a Z offset of 0.0018 (assuming export units are meters).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 520Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    scr wrote: »
    Hi there

I wonder if there is a smart way to change every elevation existing in all loaded layers.

I started with an import of points and created lots of layers; triangulated elevation grid, contours, and lots of lines/areas with the digitizer tool.

Unfortunatly all imported points are 0.18 cm to low in Elevation.

Any hint?

Thanks Rainer

Hi scr / Rainer,

Why are they 0.18cm too low?

It's unclear from your post the elevations' source, nor where they pertain. If they are for example provided to you in NAVD88, you can very easily transform them to (for example) NGVD29 using a fantastic little program called VDatum - there's even the feature to transform entire LiDAR tiles and other types of files (batched ASCII).

vdatum_overview.gif
    While this free utility was developed primarily in dealing with transformations between terrestrial and tidal vertical datums (see image above), its coverage extends inland for the entire country in dealing with transformations of different terrestrial datums vertical and horizontal and most notably using various geoid models (GEOID12A shown below).
    GEOID12_CONUS.png
  • scrscr Global Mapper User Posts: 42Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    The source of the elvation are different point clouds and added edge lines.

I think a have to export the vector data as Mike proposed and then generate the terrain and other things again, unfortunatly.

Rainer